FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ginsburg
Hi guys. I tried to search other posts to see if I could get my questioned answered there, but didn't find what I'm looking for. Basically one of my Venus fly traps have grown too big for it's pot and I need to repot it. I bought the Perlite and Canadian Peat Moss for mix, new pot etc. and did some reading up on repotting a VFT on the internet (before I found this web - of course ;) In the mean time - my plant was happily growing 2 flower stalks. I have noticed that many have said (including Matt) that one should avoid repotting when the plant is flowering. But my plant has already grown full length flower stalks. Now my question is this: Can I cut off the stalks and repot (and possibly separate new plants) my VFT straight away? Should I cut off the stalks and wait for a certain amount of time and then repot? Should I leave the plant altogether?? :?
By Jaws
Hi,

Just seen your pics, id leave the stalks for the seed to fully develop on the fully opened flowers, now they are that size.

You could cut off the stalks (if you wish) but i wouldnt repot, as the plant will have put a lot of energy into the full grown flower stalks.
Repotting it will stress it, youd be better waiting till end of Spring area, 3 or 4 months isnt going to make a lot of difference.

The plant with the smaller stalks you could cut them off and repot with no problem if you want.
Try to disturb the roots as little as possible.
By Ginsburg
Hi :) The photo's I posted earlier are about a month old. The flowering VFT in the photo's is the VFT i have left to flower and do it's thing. The other VFT in the picture is the one i want to repot. In the photo the stalks where still short, now they are fully extended and the buds are looking like they are ready to open (just about). But because it's so crowed in the pot (you can barely see the soil) I wanted to repot it asap.

With that said, do you think it's too late and i should just wait till the flowering and seed stage has passed :(
By Jaws
Yeah now the flower stalk has grown that much id leave it and get some seed, the plant will have put so much energy into it.
If you really want to repot you could cut the stalks, but the plant will probably get more stressed.
By Ginsburg
Goodkoalie wrote:If i were you, i would just let it be, and how tall are you flower stalks, mine is 7" and i want to know wheni it will flower.

Hi :) I have two VFT. This one has really tall stalks - 27cm, that's about 10 inches! The other one is 22cm, which is about 8 inches (already being making flowers and hopefully seeds for a few weeks now).

\Thanks for the advice. Happy flowering ;)
By Ginsburg
Jaws wrote:Yeah now the flower stalk has grown that much id leave it and get some seed, the plant will have put so much energy into it.
If you really want to repot you could cut the stalks, but the plant will probably get more stressed.
Thanks for the advice. Ya, that's what i thought might happen :?

Will just have to be patient and wait. ;)
By Starchy
In the future, I would cut the flower stalk when it's about 3 inches and plant it upright in a pot with very humid conditions. If you want to let your VFT flower, it is best to let it do so during the active growing season, and not right before dormancy.
By Ginsburg
Starchy wrote:In the future, I would cut the flower stalk when it's about 3 inches and plant it upright in a pot with very humid conditions. If you want to let your VFT flower, it is best to let it do so during the active growing season, and not right before dormancy.

Hi :) Thanks for the advice. Will do that next year (flower stalks). Only learnt that after it had grown past that.
It's not right before dormancy here - I'm in South Africa, we're in the middle of Spring going into Summer at the end of November ;)
By Starchy
Ginsburg wrote:
Starchy wrote:In the future, I would cut the flower stalk when it's about 3 inches and plant it upright in a pot with very humid conditions. If you want to let your VFT flower, it is best to let it do so during the active growing season, and not right before dormancy.

Hi :) Thanks for the advice. Will do that next year (flower stalks). Only learnt that after it had grown past that.
It's not right before dormancy here - I'm in South Africa, we're in the middle of Spring going into Summer at the end of November ;)
Ah, I did not notice that when I posted. I am very jealous of you right now... I hate the cold! :p
By Ginsburg
Starchy wrote:
Ginsburg wrote:

Ah, I did not notice that when I posted. I am very jealous of you right now... I hate the cold! :p

HA HA HA HA!! Me too! I LOOOOVE Summer. Can't wait :D
By heathenpriest
Honestly, your plant doesn't look overcrowded to me - as in having too many centers. The two flower stalks would suggest that there are only two. On the other hand, it could certainly use a larger pot, mostly for the depth. I would probably repot, but I would do it by putting the entire contents of that pot into a larger pot, undisturbed as much as possible. That way it won't cause the plant much stress, but will allow for more root development.
heathenpriest liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!