FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By rellenburg
I see that 32-55 is recommended alot, but I'm wondering how cold is too cold for those few inevitable colder than normal nights?
By Atilla
Too cold is 'slightly below freezing' - the moment the liquid inside the plant starts to crystallize. You need to find a way to ensure your plants don't stay in such temperature for long enough to cause damage.
By parker679
Your concern should be it getting cold enough to freeze the soil. Frost on the plants won't bother them too much.

It can easily get into the upper 20's during the night where I am and it's never killed any of my CP's. As long as it doesn't stay below freezing for more than several hours you should be fine.

Small plants because their roots are still shallow and plants in small pots are the most susceptible to freezing. If it's only occasionally that it get's that cold at night and you're concerned just throw a sheet over the plants.
By Matt
rellenburg wrote:I see that 32-55 is recommended alot, but I'm wondering how cold is too cold for those few inevitable colder than normal nights?
I left a few dozen flytraps outside all during the winter months last year. They were in extremely large pots which never froze solid, but there were temperatures down into the teens (Fahrenheit). All of them came back this year, including the teeny tiny ones. I was quite surprised by this considering that the top layer of soil was definitely frozen on the coldest days.

I think that the size of the pot has a great deal of influence on how cold you can allow the flytraps to get. If they're in small pots, I wouldn't allow it to get more than a few degrees below freezing; perhaps as low as 25 so long as it warmed up during the day above freezing. But if they're in very large pots, they can stand much colder temperatures. And if they're in the ground (a bog garden) and covered with mulch, they can stand temperatures well below zero.
By rellenburg
Thanks, I'm just trying to decide if buying an unheated greenhouse will be sufficient in upstate SC zone 7. If not I'll have to do something else. I don't want to have to repot into larger pots just for the winter. With the temps Matt just posted I should be fine, but I don't know.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote:I left a few dozen flytraps outside all during the winter months last year. They were in extremely large pots which never froze solid, but there were temperatures down into the teens (Fahrenheit).
Just curious, how big are we talking here?
By xr280xr
Oh I remember you mentioning those now. Good insulation too. I wanted to put some grapes I'm growing in those but they're a little pricey!
By Starchy
rellenburg wrote:Thanks, I'm just trying to decide if buying an unheated greenhouse will be sufficient in upstate SC zone 7. If not I'll have to do something else. I don't want to have to repot into larger pots just for the winter. With the temps Matt just posted I should be fine, but I don't know.
If you're worried about the cold in an unheated greenhouse in SC, then I am in big trouble with my CPs... They are in an unheated shed (insulated thought), and I live near Boston! :shock:

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!