FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By scorpio5569
I was checking on my plants and the medium they are in and wondering also why they were not growing at all or very slowly I pushed down on the soil and it really yielded to the pressure of my hand so I pushed my finger down into it around where the roots of my plants were and my finger went into a hole under the plants roots. Apparently when I potted my plants I didn't pack the mix around the roots so they were just hanging in basically empty space in the pot or just very loosely supported. I think this may have been the problem but I will see in a week or so. This picture is of my Love Bug, I have had it in this pot for three months but never checked the mixture until today, it sank about four inches in the pot, after and before, gotta learn how to upload pics. If you are having trouble with your plants check them to see if the soil is packed well enough in the pot. I had to do this to 25 pots and I have not checked my VFT's! :o
Attachments:
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG (228.3 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1489.JPG (131.37 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
By Daniel_G
I personally wouldn't use that mix, doesn't seem to have much perlite. For a purp it might be ok, but other species may complain.

Plants will be growing slowly anyway this time of year... why shove your finger in the soil?

You shouldn't see much difference in growth anyway. As long as it wasn't that poorly potted for too long a period of time.
By parker679
scorpio5569 wrote:This picture is of my Love Bug...
Looks like a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.

Also, when potting you should top water after everything is done to settle the soil. Any voids like you had will quickly become obvious. Otherwise, doesn't look like the plant is doing to bad other than maybe needing a little more sun.
By scorpio5569
See what I mean, this plant has been in this pot for two months and all my plants are outside in full south facing sunlight and when i potted it it felt like it was solid and had settled but it hadn't, kind of like how a real bog will look solid but when you step on it you sink, this was the condition of most of my Sarracenia pots. This mix was moist when I potted, but I consider myself a newbie to CP collecting (4 months) so I am still learning how to pot correctly and I shoved my finger into the soil to see how soft it was and how much it compacted under pressure, but thanks for the remarks and maybe I am not the only one who has done this. This is my Sarracenia collection, there are two that are acclimating out of the sun for now.
Attachments:
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG (221.21 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
By Coldzercp
Well at least the plants is all good
and funny thing is that since you started 4 month ago you have more plants than me in 2 years :lol:
By scorpio5569
Yea I really lost my mind when I found some of these hybrids, next year will be something though and I have a feeling I will be giving away some plants to my kinfolk, the youngin's have expressed an interest in them so as I learn I can teach and just think of the crosses that will come out of this mixture, sure to get a mutation or two in a few generations.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!