FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kuon

This is actually the first plant I've ever been in charge of taking care of on my own.
I got it at Lowe's yesterday.
Does it look healthy?
I'm a little worried.
I read that it shouldn't be watered with tap water, but my grandma soaked the poor thing with tap water after we got it. Will it be okay?
By Raptaur
From my own understanding (and I'm pretty new here) is that using tap water will become bad news for the plant over time as minerals build up in the soil, so if its had a bath in normal tap water it should be okay if you start using rain/reverse osmosis water as a watering solution as this will dilute and flush out any tap water that was used.

If he is look slightly unhealthy it may be that the plant is heading to dormancy which is expect around this time of year and is something that you shouldn't be to worried about (traps will turn black and die off), this is a perfectly normal step in the plants yearly cycle.

Hopefully others with more growing experience that me will turn up soon and help you further
By Matt
Kuon wrote:Does it look healthy?
Yes, it looks quite healthy; healthier than most flytraps I've seen come out of department stores.
Kuon wrote:I read that it shouldn't be watered with tap water, but my grandma soaked the poor thing with tap water after we got it. Will it be okay?
It will be fine provided that you don't do it regularly. It would probably benefit the plant to water it from the top until water flows out the bottom of the pot to help flush out any minerals that may have been in the tap water.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!