FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
This plant was bought in dormancy and the rhizome was pretty neglected by myself. The spring pitchers its putting up are rather thin. Is this normal for first pitchers (or is it due to stress) and will it put up more substantial pitchers later in the growing season?

Also, I know its probably too hard to tell right now, but can anyone guess what kind of hybrid it is?
Its around 20cm tall or 8 inches.
Growing conditions: pure sphagnum, distilled water, N facing window with 5+ hours of direct light.
Attachments:
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG (18.65 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (28.56 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
By neplover101
nice plant!
I think that is pretty normal for sarracenia for the first pitchers, but mine have not done that before......
Last edited by neplover101 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By steve booth
Hi Fattytuna

Living on a north window with 5 hours light is a lot less than ideal. The pitchers could be thin due to etoliation, but having said that they do seem to have some colour, but if you can give it a lot more direct light and a longer photoperiod, or put it outside if the weather is good enough, that would help.

With regard to the pitcher sizes, it all depends on what mix it has in it, it certainly looks to have minor in it, but what else at this stage is difficult to say with any certainty. You may find that as the season progresses the pitches get more robust, give it lots of light and warmth and it will reward you with its full colour and size.

Cheers
steve
By fattytuna
steve booth wrote: Living on a north window with 5 hours light is a lot less than ideal.
I meant 5 hours of direct, blinding, the-rays-of-the-sun-are-shining-directly-on-the-plant light. It gets around a 12 hour photoperiod.

Due to the strange positioning of my house, the windowsill, at this point in the year, receives the most direct light. As the sun gets higher in the sky, I plan to move them outside

Thanks all for replying. :D
By neplover101
Steve wrote:
Living on a north window with 5 hours light is a lot less than ideal. The pitchers could be thin due to etoliation, but having said that they do seem to have some colour, but if you can give it a lot more direct light and a longer photoperiod, or put it outside if the weather is good enough, that would help.

Hi Steve,
Here in Australia it is a bot different to you. Because your in the Northern hemisphere your sunniest windows are West and South, where as in Australia our brightest window is North facing.

Thanks neplover101
neplover101 liked this

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!