FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By banana007
OK guys. I've googled and googled and I can't find any decent answers.

I just received some utricularia graminifolia and I have absolutely no idea how to take care of it. I searched the forums and I see that plenty of people have it on their grow lists, but there aren't really any posts about it. From what I found on google it can be either terrestrial or grown in water. Seeing as how I don't have an aquarium (although it looks really awesome in one) I would have to grow it as a terrestrial plant. I found the care sheet that Grey typed up about utricularia's which is about the most information I've found so far. As you can see, it's already potted so I'm good on that front. What else should I know to successfully keep this alive?

By Jimbok3
all I know about them is they like being in wet/soggy soil (can be underwater with no problems).And they like bright filtered light (if outside plant in the shade). That is all I know, I' m still trying to figure out if they require dormancy (I have different terrestrial bladderworts) but still have not gotten a definitive answer. :)
By Grey
I found it difficult getting up-to-date and decent amounts of information regarding U. graminifolia; in an aquatic ecosystem it can be a pain in the bottom to keep as it usually needs CO2 (according to what little data I've found) but I've never seen anyone grow it as a terrestrial plant. All I can really say is to keep it wet and hope for the best, there really needs to be more info on this plant out there... sorry I couldn't be of more help.
By Jimbok3
Grey wrote:I found it difficult getting up-to-date and decent amounts of information regarding U. graminifolia; in an aquatic ecosystem it can be a pain in the bottom to keep as it usually needs CO2 (according to what little data I've found) but I've never seen anyone grow it as a terrestrial plant. All I can really say is to keep it wet and hope for the best, there really needs to be more info on this plant out there... sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I did hear about needing extra CO2, I really don't want to buy and install a CO2 system (then comes replacing the CO2 cartridges) ugh.... :lol:
By banana007
This is a super delayed response but thanks for attempting to answer the question guys! I just saw some UG on an aquarium thread I was looking at and thought I'd come back here to see if any magical info showed up about this plant.

I've managed to keep it alive so I suppose I'm not doing too bad. It has a really good root system. If I turn the pot over and let the whole thing come out in my hand in one big clump there's roots everywhere and all the way down to the bottom of the little pot it's in. I think I'm going to put it in a larger pot w/ peat moss and see if I can get it to expand. Right now we water it from the top probably about once a week and then it sits in the tray of water until it's empty again. Grey you're right, there really isn't any info about this plant out there. I thought about planting it in our aquarium but after some research saw that it does indeed require CO2 injection. Since i'm not that advanced in my aquarium keeping skills yet I think we'll just try to get it to live and thrive in a pot for now. Maybe hopefully one day I'll have enough experience to be able to set it up in the aquarium. =)
By bananaman
It is pretty easy.
No dormancy needed, the don't need much light compared to other CP's.
Also, keep it moist.
You can change the water level to encourage it to flower.
This means, you flood it, then let the water level fall until it is just mosit, then flood it again.
They don't need dormancy.
They are really easy to keep, compared to other CP's.
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!