FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cthulhu
I recently got a B52 and I just noticed that there is a separate little plant growing underneath the main plant.. I wasn't planning on repotting anything until March.. any trouble with leaving them together until then? The pot is about the same size as the standard FTC shipped pots. They are still acclimating so I was thinking repotting would probably do more harm than good at this point but March is a long way off..?

By Kyla
The same thing is happening with my Standard VFT; there is a definite separate little baby there with many traps.

I'll also be watching this thread to see if anyone has an answer.
By Veronis
Think about flytraps in the wild - no one is ever there to help divide them. They just grow in clumps, and keep making more clumps and more rhizomes. The rhizomes will eventually start to move apart more on their own, without interference. It just takes many months to do.

Unless you're repotting mid-season for some reason (soil got messed up, etc.), there's no reason to divide them manually until the following Spring.

If repotting mid-season, dividing them then is still optional.

In general, I only manually separate divided rhizomes during the Spring repot, or if repotting in early/mid summer.

Never try to separate them while they are stressed or acclimating.

To Cthulhu, in your particular case, I would definitely not divide those until Spring. Let them give you all the uninterrupted growth they can for what remains of this growing season; separating divided rhizomes can set a plant back weeks, sometimes more than a month depending on specific conditions.
Veronis, Veronis liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!