FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By MisterE24
Today I received my small wally fly trap. I love the purple color of the traps inside and is yet another variety added to my collection. I thought Id only have one large pot with 3 or 4 different flytraps but this is now my second large pot. This one I potted a little different. Since the pot was a little deeper, I first added a small layer of long fibered sphagnum moss. The next layer consists of soil I purchased from the flytrap store. Then I added another thin layer of moss to top it off. I hope it will help in keeping the soil cool, since I keep the pot outside in full sun. I put it inside every evening only to place the pot in its place outside every morning when I leave to work. Now I don't know if anyone else has tried potting this method, but I thought Id give it a try. Ive had the pot sitting in partial sun/shade outside for a while since today was around 91. I didn't want the plant to get too hot since I just received it and I just potted it. But yes, here it is. I hope the traps open up soon, Im anxious to see their color!
Attachments:
Image 2.jpg
Image 2.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (188.27 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
MisterE24 liked this
By SpeedyKJ
Looks good, in time that will be a monster it will either clump or just grow giant traps

Good luck
By MisterE24
SpeedyKJ wrote:Looks good, in time that will be a monster it will either clump or just grow giant traps

Good luck

Thanks! Im anxious to see what it turns into!
By MisterE24
That looks awesome! I wouldn't mind having mine clump into a bunch of traps like that. Besides I already have other plants that put out pretty large traps
By SpeedyKJ
When I got mine early spring of 2011 it was about the size of the one you have maybe a little larger and after wintering them over in my fridge and planting them up in early spring of this year it divided into two growth points, one chose to grow large traps and the other chose to clump like crazy

I wish I knew what made the one division of mine clump and could offer you help to encourage your new wally to be a clumper

I have them growing right next to each other in the same pot so they are in the same soil and get the same light and everything so I have no clue

either way your wally chooses to go you will have an awesome plant, they hold their color very well even in the blazing heat of the summer while other VFT's usually only show their color in the cooler weather like spring and fall
By MisterE24
Yeah mine had most of its traps closed when i received it. Most opened up today and the color inside its beautiful to look at. And a little hint, the same seller I got mine from has 3 more for sale on amazon right now for about 13 bucks not including shipping.
MisterE24 liked this
By SpeedyKJ
Ah yes I got mine from the very same guy, however I got it off one of his eBay auctions
By dragona
looks very beautiful,good job,guys!good luck to you!
By Matt
Those Wally's are most likely from my TC work! I sold a bunch of them out of TC to Joel earlier this year. I haven't been all that impressed with Wally myself (seems almost exactly like Big Mouth to me, but that's just one opinion), so I haven't made a point of propagating them for sale in the FlytrapStore but instead decided to sell most of them to Joel to sell.
By MisterE24
I have seen a bunch of really nice looking wallys go for auction on ebay and people were paying high price for them. I think I saw some go for as much as 70 dollars. I don't think Id pay that much for a plant, though they were quite large and had real nice color. Im happy with my plant though, its small but I know its gonna grow and its already starting to color up quite nice
By SpeedyKJ
Matt wrote:Those Wally's are most likely from my TC work! I sold a bunch of them out of TC to Joel earlier this year. I haven't been all that impressed with Wally myself (seems almost exactly like Big Mouth to me, but that's just one opinion), so I haven't made a point of propagating them for sale in the FlytrapStore but instead decided to sell most of them to Joel to sell.

Matt I think it would be worth trying to sell a couple at fts

Some of the features Wally has that I think are catching are its low to the ground growth and it seems to hold its coloration even in the hot hot parts of the summer while most of the rest of my VFTs lose lots of their color and it tends to be a clumper

And as someone said above me there have been some Wally's auctioned on eBay for high dollar... I could be mistaken but I think one went for over $300 early this summer

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!