FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By SCT
2 Out of 5.

You guys may have seen my pictures of my VFTs here at FTS in a couple forums. I'm just constructing this review to share with others my experience with PetFlytrap.Com.

The same day I joined this forum, I ordered 3 flytraps from PetFlytrap. A King Henry, a G-14 Rosetted and a Akai Ryu.

I'll try to be unbiased as much as I can. Occasionally they would have in stock rare plants that other retailers may not have at that time or possibly not at all. And I know most of us are guilty of this; whatever we want, we look for it and pretty much want it right away. Like the G14 Rosetted I purchased from them, no one else had it available except PetFlytrap. So I give them credit for that. Shipping is reasonable. Takes about 3 - 4 days for my order to reach my door step. They package the plants nicely to minimize damage during shipment as much as possible and taking precautions to assure the well-being of the plants while in shipment. However, a risk of significant damage during shipment is still present. Along with my order was a note saying the plants may suffer from excessive heat during shipment and the plants may lose their leaves but is still alive and will recover if cared for well. So that's a bit reassuring. But of course that's for those who are a bit more experienced with these kinds of plants. To a regular person who don't really know much facts about such plants, the plants would be thrown out simply because it looks dead even though they're not completely dead or may be dormant. This is where my review goes sour.... unfortunately.

^My King Henry was fine. The condition is like the same condition of a typical VFT you would find at a store. A few traps and quite healthy but a lot of room for extensive growth. The price I paid for it, the condition it was as received, however somewhat weak possibly from shipment, I'm satisfied.

^My G-14 Rosetted. PetFlytrap described it as small plant potted in 3" pot. The "potted in 3 inch pot" is true. But "small plant", I'm disappointed. "Babies" would be my choice of word. No trap were larger than the diameter of an eraser on the end of a #2 pencil. The description says this very VFT would have traps up to 2 inches when mature/ adult. If that's the case, a "small plant" [small G-14 Rosetted] should have traps that are at least half on a inch. The condition of my G-14 Rosetted is fine, looks to be healthy. But the price I paid for it, because of its size, I'm not satisfied even with rarity considered.

^My Akai Ryu. Bad shape, BAD. Out of all the three, my Akai Ryu had the highest number of leaves/ traps. However, they were all browned and blackening. Whether the reason for it being shipment damage and/or carelessness, the Akai Ryu may be somewhat rare but for the price I paid, the condition of it as I received it was dissatisfactory. Personally, I am somewhat overall satisfied now because the plant is still alive and has shown to be recovering by sprouting new leaves from the rhizome within the past two days. But from a general consumer standpoint, not satisfied. It shouldn't look dead. I'm not even sure if shipment is to blame since the other two VFTs are fine in condition.

Now, onto PetFlytrap. Yes, the order was quick to be shipped. But communication is becoming low. I have emailed PetFlytrap concerning about the Akai Ryu in the minutes following opening the package. I have not heard back yet. For each day that goes by with no response, the more I become disatisfied overall with PetFlytrap. I can understand the variables in running a business, all outcomes may not be good. But communication is the most important. Following that is how the problem is corrected, if there is a problem. A business that has a lot of bad service but excellent, immediate responses and remedies can still be a somewhat good business (but costly) versus taking my money and running away.
SCT, SCT, SCT liked this
By scorpio5569
I bought two plants from them, a Big Mouth and a Love Bug Sarracenia. After I ordered from them I waited for shipment confirmation but after four days and nothing I e-mailed them twice and called the CS number but got no response so i went to my bank and had them put a stop payment on the transaction because it was an online purchase they did it. When i checked my e-mail later that day I see shipment confirmation from him and then a note later explaining why the delay happened, his wife left him and moved out leaving him with a full time job, the business and his kids. My plants arrived but were in the worst shape, I posted them here asking for help for them, the Love Bug is alive and growing new pitchers but the Big Mouth is almost microscopic in size but at last glance was alive, he never got paid for them and I will never buy from him again.
By MisterE24
Im glad you posted this review, I was thinking about ordering the g-14. The price did seem a little high, and now it seems even higher for a plant that size
By SCT
Yes, I am disappointed at the price vs size. However I took into consideration the availability.

If you're willing to and/or able to care for a plant that could be close to death, I would buy it.

I would buy from them again. But keeping in mind of my experience, I can easily turn away.

I have also NOT received any response to email when I sent them one concerning my Akai Ryu.

At least my plants from them are alive when they are delivered, which is ultimately what they gauranteed. But it's only for the day of the delivery to a few days after maybe.
By MisterE24
Well I was looking into this or a Wally, which is also hard to find. But one of the sellers I trust sold me one about 3 times the size of the g-14 for just under 15 plus free shipping. But I don't know what plant is harder to find, both are beautiful though
By Cthulhu
I am so glad you posted this.. I was on the market for both a B52 and an Akai Ryu.. I was considering this place until I saw the condition of your plants.. I decided to go with Leilani Nepenthes & Fly Trap Shop instead!
By SCT
MisterE24 wrote:Well I was looking into this or a Wally, which is also hard to find. But one of the sellers I trust sold me one about 3 times the size of the g-14 for just under 15 plus free shipping. But I don't know what plant is harder to find, both are beautiful though
Hmm, never heard of a Wally I think. I never heard of the G14 either until I started looking up red flytraps.

Cthulhu wrote:I am so glad you posted this.. I was on the market for both a B52 and an Akai Ryu.. I was considering this place until I saw the condition of your plants.. I decided to go with Leilani Nepenthes & Fly Trap Shop instead!
Good choice! The B52 and Akai Ryu and readily available more often from time to time during the year. I hope you have a good experience with LN&FTS!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!