FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
Say you start with a leaf pulling from a Red Dragon. Can you keep replating every 6 weeks for a year? Will you end up with 100 plants?

Some other questions:

When can you start dividing individual plants in TC to make new ones?
Can you do leaf pullings in TC?
By kevinqwe
im pretty sure you can divide it you start to see traps growing.
i think you can do all propagation techniques in TC, so yes
By Matt
Adam wrote:Say you start with a leaf pulling from a Red Dragon. Can you keep replating every 6 weeks for a year? Will you end up with 100 plants?
Yes, you can propagate plants for a long time in TC. I'm not sure how long, but I think you're supposed to get fresh tissue every once in a while otherwise the plants can start mutating.

I think if you propagated a plant for a year, you'd have way more than 100 plants, assuming that nothing went wrong.
Adam wrote:When can you start dividing individual plants in TC to make new ones?
They pretty much divide themselves. When I take tissue out of a culture, I typically wash it in sterile water. At this point, some of tissue falls apart into smaller clumps. Then, if I want to divide it further, I just use my exacto knife to cut it further. I don't know if there are any hard and fast rule for dividing tissue in cultures, but I usually try to keep a decent sized clump together and that's what I go by. Also, they really aren't individual plants. It's more like a large clump of growth.
Adam wrote:Can you do leaf pullings in TC?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you're asking if you can take a piece of tissue from a plant that's already in TC and use it to start a new clump in TC, then yes, I'm pretty sure that you can. However, I always try to keep at least a few leaves on each clump I take. For a test this on this most recent replate of my Cupped Trap tissue, I took a single leaf off of one of the clumps. I'm going to see if it forms a completely new plant.
By Adam
Thanks for the detailed answer, Matt! If a single leaf does the trick, you could end up with thousands in no time.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!