FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By dantt99
Matt wrote:though I might put a tie between Sarracenia and Heliamphora for #2
I probably agree with that, though I've never grown a Heli or know much about it. How hard are they to grow in a greenhouse?
By dantt99
Okay, what species (of the ones that FTS might have available, or others too) would you recommend?
By Gothic TRAPS
HANDS DOWN - (since we are sharing opinions ;) ), the Dionaea is the best CP out there. A high percentage of all of us started off with a Dionaea of some sort. Why? You tell me. Pesonally, I find them very attractive and thanks to cross polinating and cloning, they are even more so. You can actually stare at these things in awe for numberous amounts of time and when they do catch their prey, that's the ultimate JOY! They actually move in the motion of snapping shut on their prey and then slowly squeeze the life out. Every other CP is a mere attraction to our personality mainly due to appearance besides the fascination of them being a carnivore in their own way, which is why we also choose to adore or own them as well. Just as all of us have our own personal selective tastes in style and clothing. That's the joy and beauty of it.

My top favorite is ULTIMATELY the Dionaea. Then following would be the Cephalotus, Sarracenia and Drosera. I'm currently becoming fascinated with the Darlingtonia. A few years ago, I would never have thought of hearing, reading nor owning these plants and now here I am.

Thanks to the Dionaea :P
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Okay, what species (of the ones that FTS might have available, or others too) would you recommend?
H. minor seems to be more forgiving than H. nutans (which will be the only two species that FTS will offer initially).

And I wanted to say "Well said!" to Gothic Traps. Your post pretty well sums up what I think as well :)
Matt, Matt liked this
By bananaman
Umm...

I think Nepenthes are great (especially N. ventricosa).
But... I like every other one.

I'm interested in helis. Are they heat sensitive? Here in TX it gets into the 100's every day in the summer. :(
By 95slvrZ28
bananaman wrote:Here in TX it gets into the 100's every day in the summer.
From what I've read that's probably a bit warm for most Helis (although this is going off of people on the internet...). Naturally they grow in the highland plateaus of South America. Due to the high altitude, temperatures in this region are typically not too hot (80-95 deg F). Additionally, the high altitude results in a pretty significant temperature drop at night which appears to be one of the key elements to successfully grow the plants (night time temps should be between 55-70 from what I've read). I just got an H. minor potted up today (many thanks to a very generous member of the forum!!!) and I'm going to attempt to grow it open air here in Boulder, CO. Lucky for me, the temperature difference between day and night here on the Rocky Mountain front range is just about perfect, but I'm going to be fighting with the low humidity. Living in TX you will probably have the opposite problem, where you will have a great humidity for the plants, but you'll fight with temperature problems. I don't know if you could grow the plant in doors on a sunny window (away from air conditioning), but I think you should at least try!
95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28 liked this
By victor
My personal favorite is the sarracenia.
By bombsboy
Do you think you can get some pictures of your D. muscipula "BCP X11" aka "Toothless" (Guillaume Bily 02/11) please?
None found in the interwebs!
;) Thanks!
By Matt
bombsboy wrote:Do you think you can get some pictures of your D. muscipula "BCP X11" aka "Toothless" (Guillaume Bily 02/11) please?
Here you go:
http://cpphotofinder.com/dionaea-toothless-2432.html

I'll take some photos of mine once it gets growing.
By victor
To me those look like dente's with big traps. hahaha
By Cloudy Sky
Wow! How much does it cost to care for all those? I already spend a lot on my tiny collection!
By Matt
Cloudy Sky wrote:How much does it cost to care for all those?
Not too much. We pay $75 a year for all the water we can use and thankfully the water from that tap measures about 40ppm, so it's safe to use on the flytraps. They all grow in natural sunlight, with the exception of ones recently out of tissue culture, so there aren't any electric bills for lighting. The heating bill in the winter (we heat the greenhouses just enough to keep them above freezing) adds up a bit, but I'd guess it's less than $75 a month from November through March.

The most costly thing in caring for them all is the amount of time it takes. Time is extremely valuable when trying to run a business and caring for plants requires quite a bit of time (to do it right anyway).
Matt, El Trap-o liked this
By aaa61
those are really nice flytraps keep up the good work Matt

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!