FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By LarryBoy99
So this morning I went to go check on my plants and noticed i had a small bug prob. after doing some research on and off this site ive concluded they are springtails. They are quite entertaining to watch with all the jumping and such but i dont like the fact that they moved in without my knowledge and havent hinted at the idea of even paying me rent... :) lol. I do grow my plants indoors and have been for several months and this is the first time ive noticed them so i think they would be easy to get rid of which brings me to my reason for making this post....

HOW do i get rid of them?

one post suggested submerging the plant in water because they dont like pooling water, another post suggested starving the soil of water for a lil while (but i dont really want to go this route if i dont have to. My plants have only recently started to recover from a grow light issue i had some months back)

So are there any insecticides that would work but not harm my plants?
By Tony C
You will never get rid of springs, just accept their presence.
By LarryBoy99
I picked up a product today called Malathion. Im running a test on one of the infested cups to see if it helps. The cup is isolated from the rest and in its own container of water. Will get back on the condion, whether it doesnt help , does help and what effects on the plant it has.
By jrmc114064
Have heard that Malathion is a knock out for aphids and in my opinion should kill any insect touching the chemical.
By LarryBoy99
yeah it said on the label that it works for aphids. I used it earlier this afternoon. I initially sprayed the surface enough to get them to come out of hiding then i sprayed them with the solution. havent seen anymore of them in that one container at all but im just worried about the effects on the plant it might have if any.

How long do you think it would take before the plant would be effected?

Edit: Side note, this stuff smells absolutely horrible
By LarryBoy99
great vid! thanks for the post. the guy could have done better with actually showing the labels of all the products to make them easier to find but its a starting place for sure.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!