FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bill McEnaney
coolg wrote:Sarracenia purpurea is an easy species. Or you could try Sarracenia rubra. Good luck!
Sarracenia purpurea is a tough one, too. Mine seemed dead because the pitchers dried up. Although I thought I killed it, it grew a new, green, pitcher. What a relief.
By meizzwang
S. flava rugelii is one of the easiest to grow. Unlike S. rubra, which very sensitive to salts in the water, the yellow trumpet pitcher plant can tolerate lower quality water for short periods of time. Also, unlike S. purpurea, you don't need to feed it or fill up the traps with water-it'll catch bugs on its own and feed itself.

Only thing I'd caution is during the heatwaves in the central valley, be sure to give them a little bit of shade so they don't burn. Once the heatwave passes, they can go back into full sun like these:
By Veronis
Flava and especially S. leucophilla 'Hurricane Creek White' are some of the easier/more robust of Sarrs. I've found purpurea to be very easy as well, primarily due to its ability to withstand cold weather better than most other Sarrs.

Even though not technically a species, the Hurricane Creek White cultivar would be a good one to grow.

ICPS on Hurricane Creek White: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Sp ... html#White

HCW is the only Sarr cultivar whose seeds produce more HCW's.

Email David for availability if you decide to get one; he TC's HCW seeds regularly, and is known to provide very healthy plants to buyers.

http://www.connerscarnivores.com/store.html
By Dionae
All of my sarrs are easy to grow. I'd just pick a plant you like and get it.
Also, unlike S. purpurea, you don't need to feed it or fill up the traps with water-it'll catch bugs on its own and feed itself.
Not saying youre wrong Mike but i've never fed any of my purpureas and theyre always full of bugs. Almost every single pitcher on mine stay full of bugs. Maybe its a location thing?
By steve booth
Hi goodkoalie

Just a quick clarification to

HCW is the only Sarr cultivar whose seeds produce more HCW's.

I believe that yes it does grow from seed and produces white topped pitchers, however these seedlings should not be given the cultivar status name of 'Hurricane Creek White' on your labels as the cultivar should only be reproduced vegetatively in order to maintain its unique qualities.

cheers
Steve

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!