FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kevinqwe
all i got to cover algae is peat moss so im just gonna spread dry peat where i see green. i dont wanna cover up the whole top with that layer because i got some sprouts that i dont want to kill.
hope i am rid of algae!
By afh928
The algae will just end up back on top anyway, the dry peat will become wet peat and the cycle will continue infinitely, lol. I have found that a top dressing of silica sand is the best thing to do, plus it looks really nice. If you have sprouts just use a thin layer and don't cover the sprouts! Just be sure to scrape of as much as you can before applying the sand. It has worked wonders for me so far.
By afh928
seriously man, it's been a few weeks and the algae is no more. And if it IS still around, i can't see it cause the sand covers it, lol! The theory behind it is that algae needs light to thrive, so if you cover it up the algae cannot survive. It has proven true so far for me, at least as far as new algae growing. The biggest benefit is that if it IS growing it definitely doesn't do it on the surface of the sand. It's a win-win all around. :mrgreen:

This is cross posted from another forum. Apologies[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!