FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Snap Traps
Way to go Golgothar! :) Keep us updated! I'm still waiting for my strikes to grow leaves. :mrgreen: I started mine on the 22nd of March.
By Golgothar
Veronis wrote:In addition to what Steve said - if it got this far without, there's no sense covering it now.

I'd carefully unearth the stalk and check the base of the flower stalk cutting for additional plantlets/callouses. If it has some, plant the stalk sideways rather than upright; those plantlets need some soil to root in (leave a little less than half of the sideways flower stalk exposed to light). If it doesn't have plantlets/callouses at the base, shove that stalk down deeper so the plantlets are at the same level with the soil.

Congrats :)
Thank you so much for this answer Veronis, i had no idea i needed to place it closer to the earth, i thought it would start growing from the top directly! (yes, i'm a n00b...). Anyway, i'll unearth it when i get home and place it either side ways or deeper in the earth. I'll then place another photo so you guys can tell me if it's ok or not.

Thanks for all the replies and all the help so far!
By Golgothar
Hi all,

So i followed your advice, i unearthed it and there were no other plantlets at the base anywhere.
So i sticked the plant further down to the earth.

Let me know if it's ok like this (the plantlets are not directly touching the earth). Let me know if i should put it further down.
Thanks in advance for all the help,
Miguel

By Golgothar
Now that i finished harvesting all the pods in my main plant, i have about 20 cm of flower stalk to cut.
I'm thinking i should cut it in 3 cm pieces and do the same i did with this one, what do you guys think? Should i lay it on the side or just stick it?
Also the stalk part at the very top has all the stalk divisions for each pod, should i throw that part away or stick it in the earth as well?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Miguel
By sbrooks
I recently noticed a flower stalk growing, and after reading through this thread, was inspired to cut it off, slice it into 4 sections (1/2 inch each), and plant the stems sideways 2/3rds covered with peat/sand/sphagnum, and plant the flower bud upright. I did this on June 23. I will post the results as they happen.
By Golgothar
sbrooks wrote:I recently noticed a flower stalk growing, and after reading through this thread, was inspired to cut it off, slice it into 4 sections (1/2 inch each), and plant the stems sideways 2/3rds covered with peat/sand/sphagnum, and plant the flower bud upright. I did this on June 23. I will post the results as they happen.
Hi sbrooks, thanks for letting me know that you found this post interesting :) I feel glad it helped someone. Let me know your results.

---

Meanwhile, i bought some perlite (which was extremely hard to find here in Portugal) and i was so anxious to repot my new plant that i'm now afraid i have done something terribly wrong.
I uprooted it with extreme care, but there was practically no bulb at the end and no root i could find, the rest of the rooted stalk just crumbled away in my hands. I'm not sure a plant this small should be changed from the pot where it was born in, any ideas comments or suggestions?

Anyway the plant has been repoted in a 1:1 mix, and you can see some photos below. I'm not sure but it looks like i have too much perlite, when i sprinkle it on top the stones appear to come up and the peat moss goes down, is this normal? Will the plant grow fine as it is?

As always this post is for us to share experiences, your comments and ideas are highly appreciated!

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!