By LarryBoy99
Im looking for the following Venus Fly Trap seeds
Alien
B52
Jaws
Royal Red
Wacky Trap
Saw Tooth

Im in the process of getting my collection started so i dont have anything to trade :(
By Tony C
Just in case you didn't know, seeds from those plants will not grow into the same thing. The only way to obtain a particular cultivar (named variety) is by vegetative propagation.
Tony C, Tony C liked this
By Tony C
LarryBoy99 wrote:Did not know that, thinks for the heads up. So basically what you are saying is I need to buy a grown one?
That is correct, only plants cloned from the original by vegetative means like tissue culture, leaf and stem cuttings, or division carry the name and the exact traits of the parent plant.
By DragonflyGuy
Yeah, it's much better to try and buy or trade for cloned plants if your looking for a specific cultivar.

I've got some seeds after cross pollinating several 'Fang' VTFs with 'Czech Giant' VTFs. I can't guarantee they'll look like their parents though.
By Steve_D
No seed will produce a plant genetically identical to its parent, just like no human child will be genetically identical to either of its parents. Even if the seed was from a flower fertilized with its own pollen, not a single of those seeds will produce a plant exactly like the parent.

The only way to get an Alien, B52, Jaws, Royal Red, Wacky Trap or Saw Tooth Venus Flytrap is to obtain a clone from tissue culture or a natural division from a parent plant. Unlike seeds, when a Venus Flytrap divides and produces smaller plants around its own growing crown, those smaller divisions are genetically identical to the plant that produced them. :)
By LarryBoy99
Thanks guys, i just checked the fly trap store and unfortunately most of my list is out of stock on the site. When will those be back in stock? In the mean time i guess i need to track down members with these plants.
By Matt
LarryBoy99 wrote:When will those be back in stock?
Most of them come in and out of stock frequently. Jaws, B52 and Wacky Traps will be put in stock today (right now actually). Royal Red and Sawtooth are in stock right now. We don't yet have Alien propagated to the point of sale, but hope to have it within the next year or so.
By Starchy
Matt wrote:
Most of them come in and out of stock frequently. Jaws, B52 and Wacky Traps will be put in stock today (right now actually). Royal Red and Sawtooth are in stock right now. We don't yet have Alien propagated to the point of sale, but hope to have it within the next year or so.
Any chance you can work on getting Darwin from these guys so it would eventually be available at FTS? I already asked, and they won't ship to the U.S.
By Matt
Starchy wrote:Any chance you can work on getting Darwin from these guys so it would eventually be available at FTS? I already asked, and they won't ship to the U.S.
I could probably get one of my contacts in the EU to obtain one and ship it to me with the proper paperwork. But I'm not really interested in it myself and the FTS already stocks quite a few giant clones (though they sell out extremely quickly). I'm not sure we would want to make room for another giant flytrap that, as far as I can tell, isn't superior to or much different than B52 or DC XL or any other large-trapped clone. Am I missing something about that plant that makes it more desirable or different in some way from the other giants?
By Starchy
Matt wrote:I could probably get one of my contacts in the EU to obtain one and ship it to me with the proper paperwork. But I'm not really interested in it myself and the FTS already stocks quite a few giant clones (though they sell out extremely quickly). I'm not sure we would want to make room for another giant flytrap that, as far as I can tell, isn't superior to or much different than B52 or DC XL or any other large-trapped clone. Am I missing something about that plant that makes it more desirable or different in some way from the other giants?
I was under the impression that it created the largest recorded trap...
What would you recommend for my 2nd VFT? I want something vigorous, with big traps, and red to it... a real show-er :twisted:
By Matt
Starchy wrote:I was under the impression that it created the largest recorded trap...
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that B52 and DC XL produce larger traps.
Starchy wrote:What would you recommend for my 2nd VFT? I want something vigorous, with big traps, and red to it... a real show-er
Jaws! Big traps, (though they're not quite as large as some of the other giants, they're more than sufficient to make your jaw drop a bit), incredible vigor and excellent dependable (for me at least) coloration, especially late in the season.
By Starchy
Matt wrote:Jaws! Big traps, (though they're not quite as large as some of the other giants, they're more than sufficient to make your jaw drop a bit), incredible vigor and excellent dependable (for me at least) coloration, especially late in the season.
You had me at:
Matt wrote:I don't think so.
Sign me up! :D

EDIT:
Fly Trap Store wrote:Your order has been received

Thank you for your purchase!

Your order # is: #########.
You will receive an order confirmation email with details of your order and a link to track its progress.
What size pot do you recommend?
My girlfriend says I am an impulse purchaser :oops:
By dantt99
:lol:
I would recommend a pot 6 inches or deeper. You could always make a trip to a grocery store and buy some of those 21 oz. styrofoam cups. That's what I always use ^.^
By LarryBoy99
Matt wrote:
Soon as pay day rolls around ill be making a purchase :D!! and keep me in mind when you have alien ready . Thanks Matt
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!