FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Batkan
Hello, i just bought 20 Venus Flytrap seeds . I learned alot from this site about Venus flytraps , all about soils, watering sunlight etc.. I plan to put it on south facing balcony it will have aaalooot of direct sunlight but i live in Croatian coast and currenty temperature is 33 degrees celsius in shade it will be even warmer next month. I am sure if i put this poor seeds in direct sunlight now it will kill it. So my question is should i put them in shady part of balcony, if yes how long? should i put them in direct sunlight few hours in a morning or something, after how long is it safe to put them on sunniest spot on balcony? Yes and also is it now (june) good time for start growing it. THX and sorry for bad english.
By pieguy452
Flytrap seedlings are fragile and shouldn't be placed into direct sunlight immediately. A sunny windowsill or a shade cloth over them in direct sunlight is a great way to start out seeds. Give them a couple of months after they have germinated to get settled in and grow to a decent size. Then, acclimate them just how you would acclimate any flytrap to direct sunlight. After they are acclimated you can treat them like normal flytraps (although you might want to keep a close eye on them).

Here's a few pages that might help you out if you need it (the page about sunlight is for acclimation, scroll down to the bottom and you will find it) :)

http://www.flytrapcare.com/the-importan ... traps.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venu ... seeds.html
pieguy452 liked this
By Matt
Batkan wrote:So my question is should i put them in shady part of balcony, if yes how long?
Yes, in that extreme heat I'd put them in the shade and just allow them to get morning sunlight. Or put them under a shade cloth that blocks out at least 40% of the sun and keep them that way for at least the first year of their life.
Matt liked this
By Batkan
Thx for replys, also is it good time now for growing it from seeds, i mean will plants be to small, young and fragile to survive winter?
By Matt
Batkan wrote:also is it good time now for growing it from seeds, i mean will plants be to small, young and fragile to survive winter?
Now is the perfect time to start seeds. This is when flytraps naturally set seed and the seedlings begin growing for the season.
Matt liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!