FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By JMartJr
Greetings!

I'm fairly new to this -- have had one pot with a Sarracenia sp? and a two flytaps (four this spring! so I guess they are at least reasonably happy...), and have just started a second pot with an S. purpurea(?),one flytrap and a Drosera filiformis(?) "dewthread." Looking to add some small native species sundews to the collection shortly.

Recognizing that these pots may get overcrowded as the plants grow, so some re-potting and spreading out will be needed, and that not all species of the other carnivores have the same native environment as the flytraps, I'd be interested in your thoughts on growing a "community pot" like this.

My motivation behind it all is remembering my first encounter with carnivorous plants in a little bog on the campus of UNC-W many years ago -- and being intrigued by seeing pitchers, flytraps and sundews all growing together in the wild. Yes, I could put them in their own pots next to each other, but to the extent I CAN grow them together, I like that better. (Can't put them out ion just a"common bog," the deer are bad here, so they have to stay in pots on the porch...)

Anybody had experiences, positive or negative, with this approach? I'd be interested in learning from you!
By parker679
Absolutely you can. I have a mini-bog, which is really just a very large pot, and it it I have 2 Sarracenia, about 10 flytraps, countless D. filiformis, and a D. binata or two.

While they all have different requirements, they are close enough to grow them all together. The drosera and sarracenia like it a little more wet in the summer than the flytrap, but they will tolerate the flytrap conditions just fine. Just follow the guidelines for flytrap soil wetness and you'll be fine.

Here is my post from a couple months ago. I've since divided the two clumps of typical flytraps which is why I now have about 10.

Also, D. filiformis is a weed. It will drop seed and spread everywhere. Not that that's a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.
parker679 liked this
By Tony C
It's not always the easiest way to go, but as Parker said it is certainly possible. You have the weather on your side out there, find a nice deep pot to create a good moisture gradient and you should be fine.
Tony C liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!