FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By thispace
Hi live on the west cost of wales, my fly trap has been doing fine so far in the garden no problems. i just checked it and it seems to have been attacked by something. Three of the traps have been removed and some of the moss/soil dug out, one of the other traps has a chunk taken out of it. What attacks fly traps like this? My first thought is birds...

also will my fly trap be ok? was thinking of re-potting it after? there are still three large traps and two ones that are growing. any advice on damaged plants?

thanks.
By kevinqwe
hi and welcome to the flytrapcare community!

your attacker might be a squrriel or a different rodent.
i think it will surivive but can you post a picture so we can see the damage?
maybe you should repot and put it in the front of your house, not a lot of animals go there. but somewhere with a lot of sunlight. :D
By Matt
Hello and welcome to flytrapcare!

Sorry to hear about the attack on your plant. I had lots of problems with squirrels biting off parts of my plants. So much so that I had to build a little cage to put around them to keep out the squirrels. I know that birds also sometimes attack them.

Moving the plant is an option, but if you have some sort of fence or cage, that works great too.
By hackerberry
Could also be a type of insect. That happened to my B52 too and there are no squirrels around here.

hb
By sipecsus
Use some sort of scarecrow! LOL but seriously it really works a fake crow or a something big will do.
By Budukai
LOL, Sipecsus is right, a scarecrow would help fix that problem real quick. Mine seems to do the job anyway.
By WORMSS
Mastercheif is OVERKiLL in terms of Scarecrowing..

Eventually all animals will not be scared of anything static... either have something that moves randomly... or.. as Matt says.. A Cage..

Cage might be the most easieest, since anything too big wont fit through the gaps, anything smaller will be nice eating :D lol
By linton
Blackbirds can cause the damage that you have described, especially during nesting season. If you temporarily cage your plants they should soon loose interest.
By Baruc
In my experience,I've found Blackbirds (especially young males) to be the main culprits for this type of damage and have often caught them in the act (and very guilty they look too).

Most of the attacks on my plants have been just after I've re-potted, when the plants are easier to remove. I usually find the missing plants nearby, so I re-pot and fortunately have not lost a plant yet.

I find that after an attack or two they generally move on to something else and leave the plants alone, but in the case of attacks continuing unabated, netting, as suggested above, would be the most practical solution to the problem.

Kind Regards
Baruc.
By thispace
thanks guys... will try the netting/cage idea and post a photo to see what you think.

think it was the blackbirds there are a few of them nesting near by.
By jkochuni
It probably is a bird. I had my VFTs on my deck before buying a small greenhouse, and one day I came out and my favorite Pink Venus VFT was missing from the pot. I'm pretty sure it was a bird that carried it off. :evil:
By Adam
I think if you have a picture or stuffed animal with big eyes, it will scare squirrels and birds. They don't want to take a chance in case it's a real predator.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!