FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jazzmine54868
I got 2 small Venus Fly trap plants a week ago, from a florist. They each are in a 3 inch pot, and in a 7 " tall plastic container. The instructions on the plastic box, said that if the top of the plastic box had to be removed to prevent over heating. That they could stay in the plastic box and it would be considered a terrarium. I use distilled water. I live in Minneapolis MN, and in a apartment building on the north west side. Have balcony doors off the living room and a window in the bedroom. A few days ago, one of the plants traps turned black. I thought i had seen it posted in the forum a few days ago, but couldnt find it again.
They are small plants. I have them under both incandescent lighting( 48 inches from away) covered florescent (43 inches away )
outside on balcony (from 1 pm to dusk) (depending on weather) What is causing the traps to turn black? Too much water or not enough.? Not enough light or what? Please help.

Thanks,

jazzmine54868 :?
By pieguy452
Usually when a trap turns black it is simply because the trap is old. In your case, a few traps dying is normal when a flytrap is getting used to it's new living conditions. And the lights are not necessary, at that distance with your type of light (which probably isn't strong enough anyways) it's not doing much for the plant. I also recommend you take it out of that cube, the only thing it will do is promote fungus and mold. If you could post some pictures, then we could truly discover the problem if there is one :)
By jazzmine54868
I was going to post a picture of the two venus fly trap plants, but there isnt anything here that says attachments.

jazzmine54868
By jwbates26
If you click on the red "post reply" button instead of the quick reply box, it'll take you to a comment box that will give you options under it saying upload attachments.
By jazzmine54868
ok, here is the two plants
Here is the venus fly trap plants
Here is the venus fly trap plants
205.JPG (101.21 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
----I hope this picture isnt too large. didnt know what size to resize to
jazzmine54868
By English Springer
Black traps are normal--just snip off the black parts leaving anything green to continue to do its thing...

How are you watering your plants as they look a little dry??

You have plenty of new growth coming in so you are doing a good job!
ES
By jazzmine54868
I was watering about every other day, as i had over watered one day. So I skipped a day that i should have watered them. And I thought maybe the black traps were from overwatering. But i watered them yesterday, I just dont know how much is too much for watering. Should i water them until the water comes out from the bottom? Should I water them if the peat moss feels dry on top or if the peat moss feel wet about an inch down?

Thank you for your help. :D

jazzmine54868
By jamez
Don't use incandescent. It's better to use fluorescent.

You plant's look like they're watered well, not too wet and not too dry.
By jamez
You use a tray to water them. Watering from top may mean that it's not absorbing well or absorbing too much. You can't tell.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!