FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Great idea Dionae,
With the 350 something seed growns plus adult seed growns Matt send to me, I am sure I can post a lot of pics about them!

Will try to show half of them today because the other half are currently flooded with water.

Great idea! :)
jht-union liked this
By jht-union
(Edit:) I will try to take more pics later in the future when the plants are not flooded. :)
Seed growns: I didn't found many of plants having tooth variation but instead more plants with the red pigmentation. Even with the rainy days and days so cloudy, the plants which are all green in the outside maintain a very extreme red on the inside.

This is my VFT Long Maroon Monster, which was sent by Matt almost 2 years ago I think and it looks a lot like FTS Maroon Monster. This VFT is still small but it has shown to be a great plant with vey deep red coloration inside and the leaf blade with a combination of red in the margin with green....this plant certainly is growing well and grows vigorously like FTS Maroon Monster. The plant next to it looks a bit like Long Maroon Iris except that that the leaf blade is much more thinner and doesn't grow as vigorously as this one. Also, compare the other surrounding red plants and you will understand why this is a great VFT! I will put this VFT in TC this summer! :)

More comparisons of green vs red VFT's:

Some bigger VFT's with no name yet, the traps are very big and grow very vigorously, they remind me of yet another FTS VFT such as FTS Etna.
I didn't measure the leaf blade, but of course you can see it is very large:

This is another VFT ( no name yet) grows like the other VFT above and looks like FTS Etna except that the teeth are much shorter and wide:

And this is another:

And more small VFT's:

Dionea was mentioning a lot of tooth variation, in this case, the ones I have show more red pigmentation and not much tooth variation. These are very appealing to the eye as they are completely all green and then the inside is completely deep red.

And yes, they are submerged in the water:

A very interesting VFT with traps that look like cupped traps, small traps but the leaf blades are long:

I am in the process of putting more pics of my plants in here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/jht-u ... 15429.html

Enjoy! :)
By unicorn775
I am germinating 10 VFT seeds, Planted 3 seeds in 5-1-12, one of them already has first leaves, another one has a root and third one is still quiet. Here is a pic of my baby. 4 days old 2 mm long leaves
100_0677.JPG
100_0677.JPG (147.33 KiB) Viewed 10063 times
Last edited by unicorn775 on Sun May 20, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unicorn775, unicorn775 liked this
By Matt
jht-union wrote:This is my VFT Long Maroon Monster, which was sent by Matt almost 2 years ago I think and it looks a lot like FTS Maroon Monster. ....this plant certainly is growing well and grows vigorously like FTS Maroon Monster.
It most likely is, in fact, a Maroon Monster. I've sent literally hundreds of them out now as seed-growns, baby red flytraps, and unnamed red flytraps. Many of those were sent out before we knew how great of a plant FTS Maroon Monster was. It was one of the first red seedlings I started in vitro way back in 2008. I propagated it extensively with the intention of selling it as a "red typical" flytrap and did so for quite a while. Little did I know that it would be the best red-leafed flytrap I've ever grown :) After Steve and I both agreed that it was a very superior flytrap, we decided to name it.
Matt liked this
By jht-union
Matt wrote:It most likely is, in fact, a Maroon Monster. I've sent literally hundreds of them out now as seed-growns, baby red flytraps, and unnamed red flytraps. Many of those were sent out before we knew how great of a plant FTS Maroon Monster was. It was one of the first red seedlings I started in vitro way back in 2008. I propagated it extensively with the intention of selling it as a "red typical" flytrap and did so for quite a while. Little did I know that it would be the best red-leafed flytrap I've ever grown After Steve and I both agreed that it was a very superior flytrap, we decided to name it.
Probably it is then! it is a great plant! :)
jht-union liked this
By Steve_D
Yes, a lot of FTS Maroon Monster Venus Flytraps were shipped as a "Red Typical" before they began to mature in our own collections and we realized what a great clone it is. Your plants look like the FTS Maroon Monster, although several other red clones from the FlytrapStore breeding program were also shipped as "Red Typical" during that time as well.
By jht-union
Steve_D wrote:Yes, a lot of FTS Maroon Monster Venus Flytraps were shipped as a "Red Typical" before they began to mature in our own collections and we realized what a great clone it is. Your plants look like the FTS Maroon Monster, although several other red clones from the FlytrapStore breeding program were also shipped as "Red Typical" during that time as well.
My red VFT's are as impressive as the FTS maroon monter, they grow vigoriously and with very deep red coloration, but there are some vft's like you are saying that look different for example in one of the pics of all the red vft's you can see some grow postrate to the ground while others grow tall so there could be many genetically unique and outstading vft's in my collection probably better or somewhere closed to FTS maroon monter. And I am sure I have quite of the FTS maroon monsters labeled as red vft typicals. :)

Anyway, whatever they are, I am happy to be the owner of so many red and green vft typicals that have the potential of being great plants when they mature! :)

Adios Steve!
By Chhewy
So i have been wanting some seed grown plants for FTS and my lovely girlfriend ended up ordering me 5 small plants which i have been wanting. Matt or leah ended up sending her 8 plants, thanks to the both of you i couldnt read the signature signed. Here are some pictures! Are they large enough to have a dormancy this year later on in the year or should i skip dormancy this year. They are currently under some florescent bulbs. Let me know if i need to adjust them or do anything to fix them. Thanks so much for the plants.
-Jon + Cindy
Chhewy, Chhewy liked this
By Matt
Chhewy wrote:Are they large enough to have a dormancy this year later on in the year or should i skip dormancy this year.
I never recommend skipping dormancy for any flytrap regardless of size.

The new baby flytraps look well potted and ready to grow! You have some nice variety there :)
Matt liked this
By jamez
I agree with Matt, flytraps should never skip a dormancy. I don't see how there would be a too small to go through dormancy. Don't think of it as a time they need to be cold, think of it as a sleeping period. A newborn baby is younger than those plants and he can sleep.
By newbie14
great thread idea.

here are mine first up is a seed-grown i was sent from FTS :D . Its' parentage has some fused attributes according to the note that came with it, and has minor fusing and good-sized traps
2012-06-07_11-21-17_416.jpg
2012-06-07_11-21-17_416.jpg (289.48 KiB) Viewed 9777 times
and here are some baby flytraps that i started from fts seed around September, the good colored one at bottom right was actually a ruby red color throughout when i placed it outside, but i moved it back under my grow lights when the soil mixture dried out too much because i used more sand than peat, im really digging it because it is the biggest, and most vigorous of the bunch.
2012-06-07_11-21-27_406.jpg
2012-06-07_11-21-27_406.jpg (379.86 KiB) Viewed 9777 times
pics were taken on my ATRIX phone
newbie14, newbie14 liked this
By Dionae
More teeth! All from FTS seed.
Attachments:
DSCF7458.JPG
DSCF7458.JPG (66.51 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7459.JPG
DSCF7459.JPG (66.32 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7461.JPG
DSCF7461.JPG (54.63 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7462.JPG
DSCF7462.JPG (54.2 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7463.JPG
DSCF7463.JPG (40.75 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7464.JPG
DSCF7464.JPG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7465.JPG
DSCF7465.JPG (42.1 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7466.JPG
DSCF7466.JPG (45 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7468.JPG
DSCF7468.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7471.JPG
DSCF7471.JPG (98.92 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
DSCF7472.JPG
DSCF7472.JPG (96.73 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
Dionae, Dionae liked this
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!