FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By PitBull
Hi all

I've been lurking around reading all the info available and took the plunge and bought 40 seeds a couple of weeks ago. I have several adult plants (A. Slacks Giant - Royal Red - and some Typicals one of which has exploded into life and is throwing about 15 new traps right now).

I fancied trying to grow some from seed and thought it a good excuse to make my first post with a progress report. I followed the guide on this forum pretty closely but being in the UK I thought I'd share the materials etc. for other UK growers.

Container: Small tuperware container - used soldering iron to melt holes in the base and lid
Media: Hilliers, J Arthur Bowers Moss Peat (sold in 100L bag only!) the same stuff I use for my full size plants although I use a Perlite mix for those.
Hillers, Silver sand (very fine sand!)
Other: Hilliers, 38cm heated propagator

I made a 50:50ish mix and filled the container with about 4cm of the mix. Broke the peat down and removed any hard lumps etc. so that all that was left was fine peat. Drying it first makes this easier.
Placed the seeds about a cm apart evenly over the surface using the toothpick technique from the guide.
Placed the container in a heated propagator on a South facing window just away from the direct sunlight (Not that we had any sun for the first 10 days!
I didn't use the container lid in the end instead kept the propagator lid on with the vent just open
Misted with rain water daily saturating the surface (it drains away quick enough) and the propagator mists up nicely.

So 2 weeks later the first signs of life began :) - very small root 'buds' erupted from the 'pointy' end of the seeds (sorry for all the technical jargon ;) )
3 weeks on and I have a couple at the 2 leaf stage with signs of what I assume will be the first trap leaf/leaves starting.

Of the 40 seeds I currently have about 29 obviously growing and the rest I can't find right now! (they are way too small for my rubbish eyes!)

If anyone is interested I'll keep you posted

Best Regards
Ian
By pieguy452
Sounds like you are doing a very nice job, keep us posted!
By jimlard
Hello Ian, how are your seedlings coming along? I'm in the U.K in Derbyshire and have just acquired my first fly trap seeds which I will sow soon. My Sarracenia seeds have a month stint in the fridge awaiting them before they get sown.
Am I right in assuming that you're down Hampshire way?
I'm going to use a 50/50 Irish moss peat and Perlite mix in a seed tray with a clear lid, i'll put it in my little plastic greenhouse and take the lid off during the day if it is a warm one.
It'd be nice to see how yours are getting on :D

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!