FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy272
Hello folks, I was wondering if anyone had any drosera burmannii seeds? I am only about 8 months into collecting and heard that the burmannii is easy to grow and after seeing it she is beautiful! So I was wondering if anyone had any D. burmannii seeds, I can cover shipping if need be, plus some extra. However I can afford to much as I am still a student. Many Thanks :)
By Veronis
SDCPs wrote:Cheap? Bah. I sell d. burmanii seeds on Ebay, ID: carnivorousplants

For $2 + $0.50 shipping. Beat that :D
I'd get the seeds from SDCPs if he has any right now. I've traded with him for some of his burmannii seeds in the past. The burmannii's that germinated are pictured below at about 6 or 7 months old.
burmannii.jpg
burmannii.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
One month later, after repotting...
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
By Ras

.....do you only take paypal? i dont have paypal but i want these seeds..
By unicorn775

you right, they can't beat that... Hey, BTW I have your seed popping like crazy. Thank you so much!!!!... lol, that is so funny to find seller I am watching all the time... Check out my brag list to see some of your seeds-seedlings.
Very good quality seeds, but I skipped stratification with Fly Traps and they still popped within 2-3 weeks. But Drosera was in fridge for 3 weeks instead of 7 as your instruction said. And it did germinated in 10 days after I took them out.
By jht-union
unicorn775 wrote:but I skipped stratification with Fly Traps and they still popped within 2-3 weeks.

That is because VFT seeds don't need stratification at all! :D

Just wondering, where are you getting the info that VFT seeds need stratification from???? or are you just assuming?
Just curious because have seen quite a few people talking about putting VFT seeds in the fridge and some that did, I just laught :lol: because it is not true.

Two things could be happening, either there's a bad source saying that VFT seeds need stratification or people aren't doing the right research about the plants they have(not trying to judge anyone, I am just curious what makes you think they need stratification or the source where you read this from)
Thanks!
:)
By Ras
jht-union wrote:
unicorn775 wrote:but I skipped stratification with Fly Traps and they still popped within 2-3 weeks.

Just wondering, where are you getting the info that VFT seeds need stratification from???? or are you just assuming?
Just curious because have seen quite a few people talking about putting VFT seeds in the fridge and some that did, I just laught :lol: because it is not true.

Two things could be happening, either there's a bad source saying that VFT seeds need stratification or people aren't doing the right research about the plants they have(not trying to judge anyone, I am just curious what makes you think they need stratification or the source where you read this from)
Thanks!
I think the info comes mostly from the flytrap seeds you can buy at giftshops or superstores and even food stores in the vending machines inside of a plastic egg, on the instructions it says to put them in the fridge for 3 weeks
I think it may be because of outdated information, seeing as if the theory were never tested it would be easy to think Dionaea muscipula seeds would need cold stratification seeing as pretty much every CP that needs a cold dormancy to live also needs cold stratification
Like North American pitchers, and north American temperate drosera, it's actually quite odd that Dionaea muscipula doesnt need cold stratification. Dionaea muscipula only comes from North and South Carolina (not a wide range of territory if you think about it), and those states have pretty mild winters so it kinda makes sense that it adapted to have its own characteristics regarding the mild winters of its area.... maybe its so it can readily seed through the winters that aren't so chilly, idk... and I wonder if any wild sarracenia from the same area also don't need cold stratification to sprout seeds,.... would be interesting to know

just rambling
By jht-union
Ras wrote:
jht-union wrote:

Thanks!
I think the info comes mostly from the flytrap seeds you can buy at giftshops or superstores and even food stores in the vending machines inside of a plastic egg, on the instructions it says to put them in the fridge for 3 weeks
I think it may be because of outdated information, seeing as if the theory were never tested it would be easy to think Dionaea muscipula seeds would need cold stratification seeing as pretty much every CP that needs a cold dormancy to live also needs cold stratification
Like North American pitchers, and north American temperate drosera, it's actually quite odd that Dionaea muscipula doesnt need cold stratification. Dionaea muscipula only comes from North and South Carolina (not a wide range of territory if you think about it), and those states have pretty mild winters so it kinda makes sense that it adapted to have its own characteristics regarding the mild winters of its area.... maybe its so it can readily seed through the winters that aren't so chilly, idk... and I wonder if any wild sarracenia from the same area also don't need cold stratification to sprout seeds,.... would be interesting to know

just rambling
That's a good point!
I think the zone where the vft's live is the dvision between two climates, which is the same thing where i live. And i live near the vft naturak habitat. Sometimes is cold and sometimes it isn't and if you an hour up from where i live and you see snow and colder temps but if you go down going to the vft naturak habitad, then the climate is much hotter, sometimes we get snow, sometimes we don't. And even on the USDA hardiness map you can see that part ofnthe piedmont area in NC is classify as zone 7-8, so we have some crazy weather conditions due to this division of two climates, vft's are hardiness zine 8, while I live both in 7-8. Maybe due to this conditions and the plants ability to reproduce faster it has developed a mechanism where the seeds don't require stratification so that it can reproduce faster but still grows slow and few get to adulthood due to poaching and competition.
By unicorn775
thanx JHT, now I know that, but when I got the seeds from SDCPs, there was a paper included with instructions. Well, I feel good anyway, all my seed with and without stratification. Now I know that VFT don't need it, so I will not wait next time when I will get some seeds.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!