FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By backerrobert
Okay, so I want to just ask some of the experts or experienced growers if this mix is okay for nepenthes. I have alata, hookeriana, red leopard. The mix is 30:30:30 peat, perlite, silica sand. I then add some coconut husk to the mix, say about 50:50 original mix:coconut husk
By hackerberry
Hello,

The mix looks about right. Some growers have reported using coconut husk but I wouldn't recommend it. If it is natural then go for it. If it is the one that you buy pre-packed then I would hesitate. It is the processing that a lot of growers are concerned about. Some have salt in it (long story). Stick with the peat, perlite and sand mix. You can also buy those Orchids mix, you can add that to your mix. I have a N. Trucata that grew 1 foot pitcher with this mix and a N. Villosa that did great.

hb
By kevnep
scrap the peat nepenthes hate it but otherwise it sounds ok. id just add a littke more coco husk. where did you find the silica sand?
By Sharoman
kevnep wrote:scrap the peat nepenthes hate it but otherwise it sounds ok. id just add a littke more coco husk. where did you find the silica sand?
Im using peat for about a year now and my Nep is doing just fine.
By backerrobert
well the coco husk I got from a well known seller in South Africa (Pans Carnivores) I was not comfortable buying from the garden centres because they know absolutely nothing about CP's, whenever I go there, their plants are in bad shape, dry, covered in plastci and in low light conditions, quite dissapointing. The silica sand was bought at a nursery, but I phoned the supplier to verify that it was pure silica and nothing else, nit sure if I can trust them, but I have no choice. Thanx for the advice everybody, appretiate it. I will plant my N. alata in this mix (as I am less worried about this one than my Red Leopard or Hookeriana. I guess my biggest issue is the poor state of CP supplies and knowledge in SA. I will keep a close eye on my Alata and let you know how it goes. Once again thanx for the input:-)
By kevnep
well among us collectors here in pretoria and the cape there is plenty of experience
By kevnep
By the way where is that nursery i would like to get some sand too, by the way your accound on our forum should be activated now
By backerrobert
Pans Carnivores, http://panscarnivores.com/... You can email the guy, Peter Hewitt (plhewitt@telkomsa.net) and ask him for coco husk, but have it sent via snail mail, I accidently had it sent witth my Nep and it cost me a fortune. Ofcoarse sending plants overnight is required, but not for the soil obviously, stupid me... Thanxs, I'll go have a look, and maybe we can trade...
By kevnep
I know peter quite well thax i didnt know he had sand but if you need cocohusk there are two nurseries here in pretoria that sells big blocks for R70 each. Yes i would like to trade in fact i have many nep cuttings starting to root all of easy species or hybrids
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!