FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
Has anyone here ever grown either of the above mentioned species? I am looking for growing tips as there are my first pings.

pinguicula.org has a species breakdown and recommends a 50/50 sand/peat mix for the lutea and recommends keeping the soil damp but not wet. For the ionantha it says they grow in very wet areas and like a wetter medium.

Any thoughts? I figured I would use the tray method for both and treat the lutea like a VFT and let the tray dry before refilling. And for the ionantha I would keep the tray wet.
By Grey
Although I haven't kept either of these species myself I can tell you that they are tropical pinguicula (therefore, unless otherwise stated, shouldn't have a dormancy period). While I wouldn't recommend personally recommend them to someone who hasn't kept pings before (Mexican pinguicula are usually easier to keep) they are beautiful plants and I'm sure you'll have no problems with them.

Pinguicula.org is a fantastic website - I absolutely love browsing through their info. As long as neither plants dry out and receive plenty of sunlight they should thrive. Would love to see photos when you have them.
Grey liked this
By parker679
Grey wrote:Although I haven't kept either of these species myself I can tell you that they are tropical pinguicula (therefore, unless otherwise stated, shouldn't have a dormancy period). While I wouldn't recommend personally recommend them to someone who hasn't kept pings before (Mexican pinguicula are usually easier to keep) they are beautiful plants and I'm sure you'll have no problems with them.

Pinguicula.org is a fantastic website - I absolutely love browsing through their info. As ong as neither plants dry out and receive plenty of sunlight they should thrive. Would love to see photos when you have them.
Thanks. As soon as I get some pics I'll post them. I picked these two because they are natural to the Florida panhandle which is where I live. So I'm hoping that they should do as well as my other carnivorous plants so long as I keep them as wet as they like. I know they're tropical but since they grow in my area naturally I'm hoping they over winter fine, It was only $11 for the two plants and a few D. capillaris so if they don't last the winter it's a cheap lesson learned.
By parker679
Grey wrote:That sounds great. I noticed your location and I'm sure they'll do wonderfully :) Good luck!

Thanks! With luck they'll be a new permanent part of my collection.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!