FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_M
i dont have any "peat moss", and its not exactly easy to find any of this where i am, because i dont even know how its called in my language(although i do have a clue possibly)

what i do have is what we call "καστανόχωμα" though, which is like chestnut-soil, in a sense its leaf mould. would this work? should i get peat moss asap?

if anyone knows what peat moss might be called in greek lemme know. the site is using english terms all round and it makes sense right, but its pretty impossible to translate since its not even in the dictionaries, and i cant describe it to the guy ill get the soil from since i dont know what it is :P
By afh928
i found a translation website and when i type in "peat moss" it gives me this: λίπασμα από φυτάνθρακας
By WORMSS
WOW.. that is some harse language to try and read... I dont think I recognise any of those symbols except π and im sure its not what I except it is.. just that it looks like Pi.
By Steve_M
thanks for the translation, looks like a systran translation or something :ppP

the language is hardly harsh, its just something you are not used to. try the cyrillic alphabet and then speak :p

and yes that was what you call "pi" :P
if you dont recognise λ, α, φ then you mustnt be the math/physics mastermind :ppP they are used in it
although its probable that you might not even have the proper font recognition and thats why it might look like gibberish :p

still, are you sure that this, leaf mould wouldnt work? its like, in a sense, a soil comprised of dead leaves of a castanea, chestnuts and stuff that was left to be composted or something along these lines.
By renesis
Steve_M wrote:thanks for the translation, looks like a systran translation or something :ppP

the language is hardly harsh, its just something you are not used to. try the cyrillic alphabet and then speak :p

and yes that was what you call "pi" :P
if you dont recognise λ, α, φ then you mustnt be the math/physics mastermind :ppP they are used in it
although its probable that you might not even have the proper font recognition and thats why it might look like gibberish :p

still, are you sure that this, leaf mould wouldnt work? its like, in a sense, a soil comprised of dead leaves of a castanea, chestnuts and stuff that was left to be composted or something along these lines.
Leaf mould definitely will not work, it has way too much nutrition, more than potting soil for sure.
By Steve_M
so i guess thats what also killed my sarracenia...
and im gonna have to repot my dionaeas aswel in a while cos theyre getting too big, and i was gonna use that leaf mould?
fsck i was almost gonna commit murder to 3 plants.
kk, but im seriously wondering where im gonna get proper soil for this. there is something that i can get which is called "τύρφη" which translates to like, turf. is this proper? if im not mistaken, peat is a synonym of turf so i guess i just nailed what i need to get?
By afh928
It sounds to me like you will have the best luck Googling "Peat Moss in Greece" or just going to a nursery or garden center wherever you are. I am almost psoitive that you will be able to find peat moss where you are ( i am assuming greece) and if not, order some online. Steve at www.flytrapranch.com sells pre-mixed media, and there are plenty of other online resources where you can order proper CP media...you just gotta dig a little. Unless one of us speaks greek or moves to greece i think this may just keep going in circles. Ordering some online would probably be your best bet. :mrgreen:
By Steve_M
afh928 wrote:I am almost psoitive that you will be able to find peat moss where you are
the whole point was that i didnt know how to ask for it. now i know :ppP
By STEVIEFLY
Steve_M wrote:i dont have any "peat moss", and its not exactly easy to find any of this where i am, because i dont even know how its called in my language(although i do have a clue possibly)

what i do have is what we call "καστανόχωμα" though, which is like chestnut-soil, in a sense its leaf mould. would this work? should i get peat moss asap?

if anyone knows what peat moss might be called in greek lemme know. the site is using english terms all round and it makes sense right, but its pretty impossible to translate since its not even in the dictionaries, and i cant describe it to the guy ill get the soil from since i dont know what it is :P

Where i live 200 yards away is an area called the "peat moss" plenty of the stuff also in Scotland we have plenty of rain water no problem there and my street is called Mosside,lol, as in plenty of moss too.

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!