FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By luxiloid
Hi forum members,
This is my second time receiving the TC plants from FTS international. In fact, I received them on 23rd March but I was waiting for some growth to show the acclimation process.
Below is the picture of tubes when the plants arrived to me.
Tubes when first arrived
Tubes when first arrived
Tubes_20120323_150513.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Here are the list of plants you see in the picture.
B52
BCP Z11
Big Vigorous
Bristletooth
Dingely Giant
FTS Flaming Lips
FTS Shogun Star
Hennings Giant
Jaws
Low Giant
Megatraps
Mirror

This time, thanks to Matt, I was very happy with the 'Mirror'. This is a very rare flytrap that can produce weird small traps attached to the main one in just one leaf.
Tube of Mirror
Tube of Mirror
Mirror_tube_20120323_145942.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Below is the picture right after I potted the Mirror.
Mirror just potted
Mirror just potted
Mirror_just_potted.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Below is when I finished potting all the rest of plants into soil and covered with plastic bag for protection against low moisture (currently 20~40% in Korea). I potted all the plants right away on the same day I received the plants which is 23rd March.
All plants potted
All plants potted
Potted_20120323_192622.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Now, what I want to show you is how they look today - 1st April which is 9 days after I potted them.
Here is picture of mirror which is three individual plants with 3~4 new leaves per growing point.
Mirror after 9days
Mirror after 9days
Mirror_20120401_104801.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
I was growing this Mirror under red:blue=4:1 LED but now I want to change them to 2:1 because I found that they produce the mirrored traps in Spring or Autumn. Yet, they don't have any abnormal traps.

Does anyone know what is the chance or ratio of abnormal traps for this plant?

Below is Hennings Giant which has produced the most traps per growing point in 9 days after potting. This is a new record to me which surpasses the previous record of DC XL. I don't have much information about this plant and there is not much photos available even in the CPP Photofinder homepage. However, I feel that this is even more vigorous than DC XL.
Hennings Giant after 9 days
Hennings Giant after 9 days
HG_20120401_104127.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
The next fast acclimating clone is FTS Flaming Lips which produced more traps than the famous B52.
FTS Flaming Lips after 9 days
FTS Flaming Lips after 9 days
FFL_20120401_104041.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Last edited by luxiloid on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
luxiloid liked this
By Matt
They're looking great luxiloid!
luxiloid wrote:Does anyone know what is the chance or ratio of abnormal traps for this plant?
I have only grown it one season so far, but it appears to me that Mirror is much like Fused Tooth in that it forms mostly normal traps in the spring and as the summer progresses, it produces more and more of the traps with flanges on the back side.
luxiloid wrote:Below is Hennings Giant which has produced the most traps per growing point in 9 days after potting. This is a new record to me which surpasses the previous record of DC XL. I don't have much information about this plant and there is not much photos available even in the CPP Photofinder homepage. However, I feel that this is even more vigorous than DC XL.
Interesting! I've never grown a Henning's Giant myself. I received a flower stalk in trade from a friend and was able to get it started in tissue culture. I have only potted out a few of them so far and that was recently, so I can't really comment on how vigorous or large this plant gets.
By luxiloid
Here are some updates on the plants that were took out from the TC state.
The Hennings Giant looks the best so far. I looks like as if it was growing ex-vitro from the first time.
Hennings Giant
Hennings Giant
20120426_201710_resize.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
The next clone is Low Giant. It does not look as good as the Hennings Giant but it is keep improving.
Low Giant
Low Giant
20120426_201859_resize.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
The Bristletooth does not grow big but it grows pretty fast.
Bristletooth
Bristletooth
20120426_201831_resize.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
Here is the FTS Flaming Lips. See how big this guy is now? It is really amazing and it becomes big really fast.
FTS Flaming Lips
FTS Flaming Lips
20120426_211036_resize.jpg (110.77 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
Mirror has also grown bigger. I think it is pretty vigorous than just a normal typical flytrap. No mirrored traps yet.
Mirror
Mirror
20120426_210932_resize.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
By Matt
They all look great luxiloid! Great growing :)
luxiloid wrote:Here is the FTS Flaming Lips. See how big this guy is now? It is really amazing and it becomes big really fast.
Yes, FTS Flaming Lips really is a monster plant. It gets extremely large traps and has excellent color. It's one of my favorite giant flytraps.
luxiloid wrote:Mirror has also grown bigger. I think it is pretty vigorous than just a normal typical flytrap. No mirrored traps yet.
Mirror is a fun plant. It is quite vigorous and the mirrored traps it makes are very cool. It takes a while for it to start producing them out of TC.
By Devon
Okay, what is your secret(s)? After a month of growing mine, they don't even look half as good as yours! Arg!

Fantastic flytraps! I'm as jealous as can be!
Devon liked this
By luxiloid
Hi Devon,
I have been experimenting to find out better growing conditions with several typical plants for about six months intensely during 2011. I then started buying TC from FTS after I gained confidence of not killing any of them.
I grow them using LED lights indoors but not all the LED lights show the same performance. I have compared about 8 different vendors and finally settled to the current one. Also, the soil is very important. This is most difficult part for me and I am still studying it. I have to gain skills to compare whether the soil is dead or alive. You can know it by colors, smell and how long it takes to dry out the soil when not watered. pH meter, TDS meter, microscope are also used to analyze the soil.

I am very shy that you give me a lot of credits but in fact, I am still studying. :lol:
My flytraps look much better than few months ago but to grow them large and develop massive root system like those of Steve's still needs a lot of efforts to learn.
devon wrote:Okay, what is your secret(s)? After a month of growing mine, they don't even look half as good as yours! Arg!

Fantastic flytraps! I'm as jealous as can be!
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!