FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
To answer your questions , is very difficult, because i don't know your growing climate , being micro climate, , sphag moss makes lots of spores and can regenerate very quickly when quality water is supplied , but it needs the correct condition to grow !! so it needs a good supply of rain water, good light like a early spring day, like all most full sun but Coolish conditions , and very good ventilation , like air blowing over it most of the time , , this increases the evaporation rate allowing it to grow quickly , it likes to be water over head and not to dry out ,humidity must be high around 70% for it to do well and temps about 20 c day time is great as the temp rises it slows growth and as its get cooler it all so slow es , cool nights are good as well, where mine grow best is where constant water is dripping into it and get good misting all day as well like , mine gets 4 min at a time every 2 hours 8 times a day and it like some fertilization to some non urea fert at 10% strength every 2 weeks helps , it like to be wet but not drenched , so good drainage is best as well mine grows on matting above the ground , in benches i made to put the nep pots on , it works well , all these condition are for nepenthe plants just so happens the moss likes it very much as well
J
By Vern
Do sphagnum moss spore cause any health concerns?

If you grow your sphagnum in a separate container, do you just cut sections (top, bottom, all the layers?) to dress your CN plants? Or do you snip off the tops and let them dry?
By Matt
Vern wrote:Do sphagnum moss spore cause any health concerns?
Not that I'm aware of.
Vern wrote:If you grow your sphagnum in a separate container, do you just cut sections (top, bottom, all the layers?) to dress your CN plants? Or do you snip off the tops and let them dry?
I don't use sphagnum as a top dressing for my plants. But I believe that as long as you put the green parts of the sphagnum on a surface where they stay moist, they will grow.
By swat007j
PeatMoss wrote:Don't bother punching holes, my regia root cutting nursery grows fine without holes.

At first i had them in a jar , it was doing good until one day the temp hit 90 degrees F and i notice that they started to get burn on the tips , now that i have them in this plastic container they still get really hot but since there inside the water stays in do you think i should leave them out side in the full sun or just place them on my window which only gets some light.
By jrmc114064
Has anyone tried growing sphagnum moss on the surface of water. I have a huge tube that basically is the water tray for my plants and would like to have the plant between my plants.
By Vern
jrmc114064 wrote:Has anyone tried growing sphagnum moss on the surface of water. I have a huge tube that basically is the water tray for my plants and would like to have the plant between my plants.
I'm actually trying that right now. I had just separated some seeding sundews and placed them on top of some springs from my terrarium into a jar and the springs that I had only cut in half are starting to show new growth after about month, without any bottom layer of sand/perlite/peat/dried sphagnum. After seeing that I plucked a few springs and cut them up and put them in an old glass cup I had and put some plastic wrap over the top. I've had them in there with distilled water for about 2 weeks now and some of it is still green, though I think most of my troubles is that I cut them too small, so I'm not too sure of the status of the smaller pieces. I just dropped a whole spring into the cup today to see if that will take off any better. The only thing I can really say is if they're dead I wouldn't think the water level would go down so quickly. So I can only hope that the larger pieces that I cut are actually live.

However if anyone else has any experience on growing sphagnum without a medium other than water, I would love to hear about it.
By snapperhead51
Hi sorry to take a long time replying to all on this thread, only just seen it was still kicking around still , Ok your spagh moss needs to be the live kind not the dehydrated kind , all thought it dose come back to life its very slow , so get the loosed packed long strand stuff , if will be more beneficial for your sphag growth, and you need a reasonable amount too just a few pieces will not grow so well min of 10 liters or a gallon bag !, as in the first post you need good light very high humidity min of 60 % , and rain or RO water only , and light fertilisation , all though the shag like lots of water , I found it dont grow as well when water logged, , but grow very quickly when well drained , all mine is sitting on weed mat only , supported off the ground to , so the water just goes through and dose not water log the bottom , therefore it all stays alive , and the bottom dose not go rotten or smelly , it stays airy light and grows a heap quicker ok
J

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into […]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!