FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By GothicJackalPaws
As many of you might have heard, squirrels decided to have some fun with my previous flytraps.

If by "fun" you mean "maim and torture".

So I went back today, since I finally have everything I need, and took pictures of my process. :D

I start by making a mess in my mom's kitchen. While she's not around. :twisted:

I put them in plastic bags without sealing them, and wrapped their roots in towels dampened with room-temp water. I hoped this might lessen the shock somehow.

I also discovered that, after all these years of thinking my flytraps had never propagated, it turns out that they had! I'd just never noticed because they were so tiny. I can't tell how old these two are-- a year? Two? They're so tiny, I almost mistook them for the clovers that sometimes try to sneak into my pots.

This was my biggest surviving trap. It was probably one of my first.

First time I've ever dug them up completely, so I finally understood what you guys mean when you're talking about "bulbs". Here, you see one that I dug up from one of my first pitcher plants, and then you see the cut stem on the left that I got to try and clone one of them. While digging up the bulb, I accidentally pulled off some stems, and decided to keep them just in case they're viable. They're probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try.

A car trip home later, I got them all laid out:

So I took the almost-definitely-viable rhizome and the two probably-nots and put them all together. No sense wasting two more pots and what little soil I have left.

This was a trap that was like this when I found it... I actually had to dig a little to find it, because the squirrels had buried it. I'm starting to have a sneaking suspicion that the squirrels were actually digging up my flytraps and eating the bulbs-- it explains why some of them disappeared entirely.

It has no traps left, and the tips are blackened, so I snipped them off and am now hoping for the best with regards to recovery. Because recovery is not certain, I put it in a pot of its own so that I can give it individual care without other plants interfering.

Same goes for my two smallest traps, who I didn't even know existed until I started hunting for remains. So tiny! I've never seen them so small! If you look carefully, you'll also notice the leaves are slightly warped, like they were buried, left awhile to grow, dug, and reburied... I'm not afraid of them not surviving, but they're so small that I want them to grow another year or two before I put them with the big boys. This'll also give them recovery time and space without being overwhelmed by bigger traps or live moss.

I stuck the pitcher bulb right between the one I've tentatively identified as a Yellow Trumpet, and the White Top that I found at Southern States. You can see it peeking out of the ground slightly, the little green leaf blade...

As an interesting side-note, while researching what the White Top was, I discovered that White Tops are listed as Vulnerable. I would sort of imagine that vulnerable varieties would be better protected, labeled, and recognized, etc... maybe I'm being a bit naive. But I doubt Southern States even knew what they were selling-- everything was listed as a generic. It was an interesting find, nonetheless, and it seems to be settling in well.

Now this one, you can see the warped effect more clearly. The traps are wrapped around each other, which makes me think that it was buried and re-buried at least once. It would have grown toward the surface to try and break through and get light, and then... this.

And this one was the king of warped. So warped that I had to cut off some traps and trim it back, because the traps were going completely screwy. To some degree, it was kind of cool, but I also don't think it was healthy. The leaves would twist and corkscrew.

I also think it was buried pretty deep, so I might have replanted it too shallow. I'll have to keep an eye on it. But it's the biggest trap I have, far bigger than the new ones, so I think it can settle into its new home immediately just fine. Without preliminary.

I don't think that's the way the traps are supposed to grow...

And that's it. I'll see how they are in a month. Fingers crossed that they all grow, recover, and settle in. :)
Last edited by GothicJackalPaws on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By lil_mike227
Oh my gosh i know hoe u feel im glad they left ur plant in recoverable peices whem squirles got to mine i found chunks of rizhome a ll over my yard >:( but i solved my squirl problem but i hope ur plants recover...btw is that pure peat?
By GothicJackalPaws
Squirrels are a pain like nothing else. D:< How'd you solve your squirrel problem? I was thinking of fixing it along the lines of an auto-target laser or something.

Whoa. That's brutal. O___O Were you able to recover some of your plants with the rhizomes or were they beyond saving?

And yep, pure peat. I didn't even know it was recommended to use sand or perlite until yesterday, and I've always used straight-up spaghnum peat moss. Pure peat. I'll probably try to add perlite or sand ratios soon, when I get the chance. :)
By lil_mike227
GothicJackalPaws wrote:Squirrels are a pain like nothing else. D:< How'd you solve your squirrel problem?
Well...the nice way of putting it is we caught the squirrels and realeased them in a different forrest but my stepdad is kind of..well crazy and he said they eat something of ours we eat something of theres..soo lets just say there is a few frozen squirrels in our frezzer....deffentatly not one of my proudest momments :oops: but i had to help cuz they were my plants...but I didnt eat any havent brought myself to do it...
Were you able to recover some of your plants with the rhizomes or were they beyond saving?
Well the only two plants that made it to dormacy was my dente and czech giant but the dente was to messed up to survive. But i had a big mouth and a drosera fillformis and they were going great then i found multipule pieces of them sccatred on my back patio :(
By GothicJackalPaws
lil_mike227 wrote:
GothicJackalPaws wrote:Squirrels are a pain like nothing else. D:< How'd you solve your squirrel problem?
Well...the nice way of putting it is we caught the squirrels and realeased them in a different forrest but my stepdad is kind of..well crazy and he said they eat something of ours we eat something of theres..soo lets just say there is a few frozen squirrels in our frezzer....deffentatly not one of my proudest momments :oops: but i had to help cuz they were my plants...but I didnt eat any havent brought myself to do it...
Were you able to recover some of your plants with the rhizomes or were they beyond saving?
Well the only two plants that made it to dormacy was my dente and czech giant but the dente was to messed up to survive. But i had a big mouth and a drosera fillformis and they were going great then i found multipule pieces of them sccatred on my back patio :(
Whoa. Ok. Mad as I am at squirrels, even I wouldn't stick them in the freezer. It's not like they ate you (o__O) so eating them is... not even. I'd just mount a plastic owl nearby or an auto-target shooter of some sort to discourage them, not kill them. o__o

And man... those squirrels did a number on yours. :shock:
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!