Bristletooth vs Shogun Star

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones
Meiumi

Bristletooth vs Shogun Star

by Meiumi » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm

So I was looking into a nice VFT to purchase and since I already have Crunch the Maroon Monster, I wanted to get a completely different looking VFT. So I decided to start looking at the short toothed traps, and after seeing what's in stock, I think my two choices would be either the lovely Bristletooth or the pointy Shogun Star. I was going to go for Jaws but saddly they went out of stock. Also would like opinions on any other kind of short tooth too! It'd be awesome to know about them all. :D

So my main questions were:

1. Any idea how big either of their traps can grow?
2. It looks like Shogun grows upright while Bristle hugs the ground?
3. Is Shogun a green only type or can it become red too?
4. Are both hardy when it comes to travel shock, do they regrow fast and easy?

(Also, is there any kind of release date for that Lunatic Fringe, it's looks so epic! I definitly would like to know more about that one too if possible.)
~Must love Venus Fly Traps~

Updates on Crunch the Maroon Monster, check here. ^^
my-little-monster-t15033.html

Veronis
Super User

Re: Bristletooth vs Shogun Star

by Veronis » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 pm

1. Mature Bristle Tooth makes large traps (1 to 1.5 inches). My Shogun Stars are still young so I'm not sure - the biggest trap on my largest young Shogun Star is 3/4 of an inch.
2. Correct
3. My Shogun Stars are coloring up, but I don't know how colorful they get later in the season. Bristle Tooth is prone to get the deep red inner traps. Bristle Tooth also can develop some interesting-looking trigger hairs.
4. Both are vigorous, and will not be affected much by transplant shock so long as you are appropriately careful with the roots when repotting. My Shogun Stars started growing a few days after I received/potted them.

The following users would like to thank Veronis for this post
Meiumi

pieguy452
Super User

by pieguy452 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Those trigger hairs are awesome :)
A confessed carnivorous plantaholic

dantt99

by dantt99 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 am

My personal favorite out of those 2 is the Bristletooth, it's a beauty!!!

Meiumi

by Meiumi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 am

Veronis wrote:1. Mature Bristle Tooth makes large traps (1 to 1.5 inches). My Shogun Stars are still young so I'm not sure - the biggest trap on my largest young Shogun Star is 3/4 of an inch.
2. Correct
3. My Shogun Stars are coloring up, but I don't know how colorful they get later in the season. Bristle Tooth is prone to get the deep red inner traps. Bristle Tooth also can develop some interesting-looking trigger hairs.
4. Both are vigorous, and will not be affected much by transplant shock so long as you are appropriately careful with the roots when repotting. My Shogun Stars started growing a few days after I received/potted them.

Ha, those hairs do look quite awesome! :D Still a tough choice but I think Bristle had my heart from the beginning, they just look so fuzzy-ish and colorful, especially compared to the dark Maroon of my Maroon Monster.
~Must love Venus Fly Traps~

Updates on Crunch the Maroon Monster, check here. ^^
my-little-monster-t15033.html

Return to Venus Fly Trap General Discussions