FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By BrazenStream
Hello to all,
My name is Jeff, and I am new to the community, of course. I am very interested in horticulture and botany, and have a number of different projects I will be working on in the coming months. I am very excited because tomorrow I will be moving to my uncles house, out in the sticks, to help take care of him. Since I will be working for him full -time as his home care provider, I have ample time and space to plant and care for a wide variety of different flowering and edible plants. O
One of the projects I am most excited about is building a greenhouse I hope to be able to devote to carnivorous plants. I hope to be able to control the humidity and temperature inside properly, so my plants will thrive. One of the main reasons I found this community is that I am researching exactly how I want to construct this structure in order to create optimal conditions for the plants.
If anyone has any advice for a first time grower, please let me know. Wish me luck....
By Steve_D
BrazenStream wrote:I hope to be able to control the humidity and temperature inside properly
For almost all carnivorous plants, all you'll need to be able to control is the temperature. Venus Flytraps for example adapt easily to low humidity. In Texas, if you are in mid-to-west Texas, all you'll need for cooling during the summer is a "swamp cooler" (evaporative cooler). In humid east Texas a swamp cooler won't be as effective at temperature control.

Have fun! :D
By Grey
Hello and welcome to our community! Best of luck with your endeavors and new position as home care provider =] We'll be here if you need any advice with regards to your plants.
By pieguy452
Welcome to flytrapcare :)
By Veronis
Welcome!

If you want to learn about carnivorous plant cultivation, determining what kinds of plants you're interested in is key. There are many different care requirements.

When you are ready to begin your CP jedi training, click this link and read; also read the light, water, and media sub-links:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... ation.html

This is a great "quick" reference for flytraps:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/rhizo ... tml#p44781

If you want something tangible and broad, this is the book I would recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Savage-Garden ... 898159156/

It gives a great overview of many types of carnivorous plants, their care requirements, background info, etc. This is the only CP book that many CP growers, including myself, have.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!