FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BobbyManning
I got myself a Venus Fly Trap yesterday, I fed him and made a terrarium to keep it in, I live in Quebec so I thought that would be the best thing to do.
This is what it looks like:
In the lower compartment is water, but the pot is not touching the water so I don't end up drowning the plant. It's being held up by a piece of plastic, and then the terrarium is made out of a 2L soda bottle.
I've decided to give it as much natural light as possible but while I'm gone to put it under a fluorescent light.

Is there anything else I should be doing ?
I just want to make sure it doesn't die on me.
By SnapSnapIOM
Welcome to the forum :)

Firstly you should read the beginners guide here on this forum

The first problem i can see you having is your plant being cooked in that window (if it recieves alot of direct sunlight ? ) You do not need the plastic bottle over the plant.

The best thing i can tell you is to first remove that bottle and place it where it can get at least 4 hours of sunlight everyday more would be better :)

The fact that you have just got this plant i wouldnt recommend repotting yet i would just use the pot in came with for now also get a plastic small tray to place under the plant (a similar size as the pot would be good) then you can water from above or just fill the tray with a few cm of water and water it that way. Just keep it nice and moist and dont drown it :)

You also mentioned something about a growlight any more infomation on this ? Not knowing what you have i dont see the point with just one plant. How much decent sunlight does the plant get each day at the moment ?

Next time take a photo closer to the plant so we can actually see it hehe
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By BobbyManning
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Welcome to the forum :)
The first problem i can see you having is your plant being cooked in that window (if it recieves alot of direct sunlight ? ) You do not need the plastic bottle over the plant.
Yeah, I removed it, I decided it didn't need it. Some other sites told me that it was necessary but as I read more on different sites I learned this was less than true.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:The best thing i can tell you is to first remove that bottle and place it where it can get at least 4 hours of sunlight everyday more would be better :)

I studied the patterns of the sun, it doesn't work in my favor. All the windows in my apartment face the same side. This is the side the sun rises on, the only problem is the sun is only directly towards the windows for 1-2 hours then it's directly over the building.

SnapSnapIOM wrote:You also mentioned something about a growlight any more infomation on this ? Not knowing what you have i dont see the point with just one plant. How much decent sunlight does the plant get each day at the moment ?
I got a fluorescent light bulb from Rona. It's an energy saving light bulb, 23Watts, equivalent to 100Watts, 1600 Lumens, with a life of 12000 hours. And the question about sunlight is answered above.

This is what it looks like now, with artificial lighting:
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!