FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By BoothEatsBUGS
Here's pictures of the latest Mystery box! Look at the red coloring of the seed grown, it's so intense! These are going to be some beautiful flytraps when they mature. I couldn't be more pleased.

What about the semi dead trap coming off of the Fang. Would it be a bad idea to take it as a leaf pulling after the plant has just come out of shipping? I left it alone for now figuring the plant is already freaking out a little bit after being stuffed in a box for 3 days.
By 0rmus
Nice plants!

Leaf pullings success is less if the plant isn't healthy or if the plant is flowering. So using a dieing leaf in a pulling will likely reduce the chances of a strike. I would also recommend letting the plants settle from transport and repotting before taking pullings which takes about 1 - 2 weeks. Once the plants are growing well and healthy looking, you should have better luck with a pulling.
By Matt
I recall sending out that little red flytrap. It appears to have sawtooth-like cilia too! Should be a stunner when it gets older :)

Looking at your soil, it appears to not be evenly moist. Did you moisten it all thoroughly before putting it in the pot? Peat moss tends to be hydrophobic (won't take on water) without a lot of mixing to ensure it soaks it up. Once it does, you're good. But if it doesn't get thoroughly moist, there tend to be pockets of dryness throughout it.

One other thing...the plants appear to be potted just slightly too high in the peat. They'll probably be OK as long as they don't dry out, but would be better off if they were a bit deeper so that they could stay better hydrated until they're able to re-establish their root systems.
Matt liked this
By BoothEatsBUGS
I rinsed the media thoroughly before potting, then I let the excess water drain out while I soaked the plants in distilled water. Only reason why it looks uneven is because I just misted each plant before taking the photos.

I'm not really worried about them drying out, at the moment I have them growing in my "recovery chamber" which is an open terrarium of sorts, under flourescent bulbs. I am treating these like my other CP's and traps. I mist all my plants 2 times daily (once in the morning to keep them from drying out in the sun, and once at night for them to soak up the moisture) and water every 3 days or so.

I know misting isnt really advised however to make up for the lack of humidity here in michigan I do it anyway, my other plants dont seem to mind at all! The traps from my last mystery box are growing like weeds!
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!