FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By composer
Thanks for saying! I didnt know. But then what can I wrap the things into? The autoclave bags are too small for some vessels. So I suppose I shouldnt put any other metal objects in the microwave either?
By Shinkaku
composer wrote:I think pressure cookers are not very common in my country, as I dont know anyone who have one. I just wonder, is there something special about having pressure when sterializing, or can I just use a regular cooker with a bit of water? It will still create steam inside, just without pressure. Is that enought, or do I need getting a pressure cooker?
Microwave works okay, but keep in mind that evaporation is alot more than pressure cooker. For example, If you prepare %50 MS, you may end up %60+ conectration if you overdo microwaving. That also changes gel strength.
On the other hand, (for preparation with gellan gum) media PH decreases after microwave and increases after pressure cooker. If I adjust PH to 5.5 before sterilizing, I get 4.77 PH with microwave and 5.94 after pressure cooker sterilizing.

You cant use metal caps etc in microwave
But It is fast,I like it - just not using much.
Last edited by Shinkaku on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Shinkaku
composer wrote: But then what can I wrap the things into? The autoclave bags are too small for some vessels. So I suppose I shouldnt put any other metal objects in the microwave either?
Not needed to warp them in microwave, if your are carefull. Which type of vessels do you use?
By Shinkaku
Better not, because your results won't be same as given example.
I would suggest, do it normal way and don't worry too much about initial PH uless it is completely off-limit. PH will change once plants start to take up nutrients - it never stays at what you adjust it.
From observations I made so far, low PH is okay, but high is not acceptable especially for drosera seeds/seedlings. They may grow in 4.5, but forexample 6.5 will kill them (specie tolerance varies). For me, at high PH of media: either drosera seeds dont germinate at all, or they may germinate but will die after few week. Just incase they manage to survive, those seedlings remain inhibited for months untill conditions change to good or bad.
Shinkaku liked this
By composer
I found some microwave plastic bags that are large enought for vessels. I would prefer to use them, so the transfer gets easier. But I saw some videos on youtube with someone using a microwave for sterializing orchid media, and I think he mentioned that the steam from the media would sterialize the vessels. Then what about the tools like tape, pipettes and paper towels that I want to autoclave? They dont get any steam, so do they still get sterilized in a microwave?

For how long should I microwave tape, pipettes and paper towels?
By SnapSnapIOM
I use both a pressure cooker and a microwave and the results are the same you just have to know what your doing just takes practise etc

For how long should I microwave tape, pipettes and paper towels? Tape ? why use tape ? Pipettes ? you dont need them paper towels ? again you dont need them :)

Use alcohol to sterilze everything you take under the hood with you. Hood i mean even an upside down fishtank or plastic box
By composer
SnapSnapIOM wrote:I use both a pressure cooker and a microwave and the results are the same you just have to know what your doing just takes practise etc

For how long should I microwave tape, pipettes and paper towels? Tape ? why use tape ? Pipettes ? you dont need them paper towels ? again you dont need them :)

Use alcohol to sterilze everything you take under the hood with you. Hood i mean even an upside down fishtank or plastic box
The tape is to wrap around the vessels, to avoid contamination, and to seal up materiale during transfer. The paper towels are for cleaning the flow hood and dry off excess alcohol and water.
By SnapSnapIOM
Again you dont need tape around the tops i have done 100's without this i use to use shrink wrap cut into slices from the main roll but started doing some without and no contamination :)

The only time i use any type of paper towels cloths etc is well before i use my hood and after not while am TCing

When i TC under the hood i only use alcohol spray
By Binny
composer wrote:I think pressure cookers are not very common in my country, as I dont know anyone who have one. I just wonder, is there something special about having pressure when sterializing, or can I just use a regular cooker with a bit of water? It will still create steam inside, just without pressure. Is that enought, or do I need getting a pressure cooker?
I'm surprised pressure cookers aren't available in Denmark, I did a quick search for 'trykkoger' on Danish google and they come up. Maybe you can get an old one at a secondhand shop or raid an Aunties kitchen cupboard?

Yes the pressure means that sterilisation is much more effective, you don't have to be as hot and duration is reduced. There are a few other ways you can go about things but it gets a bit technical. Microwaving can cause superheating of agar so watch it carefully as it can quickly bubble up, I haven't used a microwave for sterilisation only melting agar but I understand it works fairly well (see info below). For autoclaving to be successful there should be a flow of moist air to all parts including inside vessels and packets, avoid overpacking the pressure cooker or autoclave and all vessels should have the lids twisted open to avoid dead flow areas and expansion issues.

I would highly recomend you watch all of Franks videos on Youtube, you will pick up heaps of ideas and step by step instructions to try - http://www.youtube.com/user/fbt2007#g/u

Also go to Phytotechs website (they have a couple of videos on you tube worth watching also). They have a resource section with heaps of info on media, sterilisation, equipment etc. http://www.phytotechlab.com/Technical-Info.aspx

Also you may want to look at kitchen culture kits, they have how to info I believe - http://www.hometissueculture.org/

Also check this link out - really good info also http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/good- ... 13690.html

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!