FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sipecsus
so its spring and everythings turning green! lol but i noticed that what looks like a flower stalk is developing on my cape sundew???? im guessing that all plants produce some sort of flower??? am i correct??? will my pitcher plants develop flowers as well????
By Duane
sipecsus wrote:so its spring and everythings turning green! lol but i noticed that what looks like a flower stalk is developing on my cape sundew???? im guessing that all plants produce some sort of flower??? am i correct??? will my pitcher plants develop flowers as well????

It all depends on a couple of things to be honest .
How big is your pitcher plant , I'm guessing you mean a Sarracenia ?
I've got flower stalks on mine at the moment and would say they are probably about 5 - 6 yrs old .
Is your plant in good condition or is it one the you have just bought and have repotted ?

Your D. capensis will readily flower in it's first year and then you could land up with hundreds of little babies :o

Duane
By Adam
I can't wait for the seeds of the cape sundew. I need a thick forest of them to sit on our little bedroom window in the summer. Tons of mosquitos go through there. Once this forest is in, the mosquito problem will be no more! :D
By sipecsus
i have a sarracenia leucophyllia? and 2 purlple pitchers , i had them since the end of last spring, they are currently produceing tons of huge pitchers??? iwas just wondering cuz everything else is producing a flower??? lol
By NZL
Adam wrote:I can't wait for the seeds of the cape sundew. I need a thick forest of them to sit on our little bedroom window in the summer. Tons of mosquitos go through there. Once this forest is in, the mosquito problem will be no more! :D
I'm not so sure about that Adam :)
Mosquitoes aren't attracted to the same stimuli as other insects.
Mosquitoes react to body odor, Infra Red radiation (or heat radiation) and CO2 concentrations. All a bunch of stuff sundews don't have or a lot less than a human body.

The sundews will catch the mosquitoes that are landing on them to organize a meeting on how to approach and attack you and/or your wife.
By Adam
Well, you have to see how small the window in our bedroom is :D A row of capensis will filter out the mosquitos whether they like it or not. It will actually be a physical barrier for them. I'm not counting on them being attracted by the plant.

As a side note, it's not even mosquito season yet and my giant sundew has caught one already. It must be the standing water in the catch trays that attracts them perhaps.
By Adam
Hey, as of today I noticed even more mosquitos on the sundews! I left the plants out overnight as I had to work late yesterday. Seems they come out to play at night - even this early in the season.
By kevinqwe
maybe if you got like a light out side or a lamp, you could leave it on and it will attract A LOT of bugs. you should try it :P
By linton
Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and like dark colours and deep shade - they are also attracted to stagnant pools of water to breed in. Keep your capensis sitting in a tray of stagnant water on your windowsill and you will be surprised at just how many of these little buggers get caught.
By Lililala
Hy,

I observed that my little Sundew has a flower on it. Will I have seeds on it (like on VFT) or is it only for decoration?
By jimbob999
NZL wrote:
Mosquitoes aren't attracted to the same stimuli as other insects.
Ive only had my cape sundew a couple of nights and its already caught 3 mozzis! Im going to get another one for my dad cause he alergic to them and hates the little critters!!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!