FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By FBIMOBSTER
I finally bought my Ventilation Systems (Exhaust Fan and Shutters) but will I was on this one website I saw in a "May We Also Suggest" these pots!
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/8681- ... -3-09-.htm

So if you need more room, have alot of plants, or deeper pots here you go! (they have even DEEPER pots 4sq. x 14h and 6sq. x 16h)

My Growlist:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10284
Want List:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p125120
By Naja002
FBIMOBSTER wrote:I finally bought my Ventilation Systems (Exhaust Fan and Shutters) but will I was on this one website I saw in a "May We Also Suggest" these pots!
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/8681- ... -3-09-.htm

So if you need more room, have alot of plants, or deeper pots here you go! (they have even DEEPER pots 4sq. x 14h and 6sq. x 16h)

Nice find. Image Seems that they are not hard to locate....once the proper term is acquired: "treepots". I suspect from the pictures and price that they are pretty cheap quality, but for our purposes they might just suit the need. The black is not good, but if the pots themselves were shaded, or painted, they might work out very well...and last quite a while.

EDIT: After looking around, I went ahead and ordered a 32 pack of the ones you linked to. They will help me expand my planter bog...without actually having to -physically- expand the planter bog. :mrgreen:
By Steve_D
Tree pots (or treepots) tend to have very open bottoms that offer good drainage but from which soil can fall or be washed out. This can be compensated for by using a layer of long-fiber sphagnum moss at the bottom (or some other method).

For small to mid-sized planting containers that are tall (or tall enough), 22-ounce or 16-ounce styrofoam cups, with holes punched for drainage, might be a good alternative.
By Naja002
Just wanted to update this thread. Back on Feb 07, 2012 I purchased the 32-pack Short Treepots, 3-3/4" sq. x 9-1/2" h linked to above.

On Feb 08, 2012, I received an email letting me know of the "Back Order status of the items you ordered." And "We don't have an updated delivery date as of yet, they could arrive anytime and/or it could be up to 3 or 4 weeks out. "

Nice of them to "sell" items that they don't have. Anyway, I did not need them right away, and it was the best "shipped-price" that I could find, so I decided to wait. They sent me a shipment notification and the package arrived Thursday, 03/22/2012. Total of 44 days wait.

They cost me ~$0.88 each shipped ($28.15 shipped). For my situation of adding them to the planter bog ---I'm more than happy with that.

So, let's take a look at them:

Compared to a 20 oz. styrofoam cup:

They do have large openings for drainage as Steve mentioned:

So, I've found another use for ~3 sheets of the craft lattice:

Just a lame attempt to show the plastic thickness. It's about as thin/thick as the craft lattice. It's not the super thin, single use stuff that they sell for seedlings, etc. These should hold up well...under my application:

Overall, I'm happy that I bought them. They will work well in my planter bog. Now I just need to cut 31 more pieces of the craft lattice! Image
Naja002, Naja002 liked this
By Steve_D
Thanks for the update and photos, Naja. You sure are finding lots of interesting uses for that plastic cross-stitch lattice. It must be handy stuff to have around, like duct tape and baling twine. :)
By Veronis
Nice find, Mobster, and thanks for the detailed post Naja. :)

These are exactly what I need; I'll be ordering some soon.

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!