FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By garz
So, I've been admiring my plants daily, actually more like every bored moment that I get at home... When I realized that some of my Jaws traps open and close on their own. Like in the mornings one might be closed and then towards night, it's open? Then another will be open in the morning and close by night time.. I know they're not eating anything cause they're closed off from any insects or contact with anything physical.

Is this normal behavior?
By pieguy452
Are you sure nothing can come into contact with your plants? There are sometimes really small insects and spiders that trigger the trap but always manage to get away because they are so small.
By garz
I really can't say... How fast does a trap open if there is no food in it?
By pieguy452
It really depends on the health of the plant, but on average it usually takes about 12 hours.
pieguy452 liked this
By 95slvrZ28
If the plants are in a spot that gets cold at night the traps will tend to close some as well.
By jaester
We had a cold front move in the last couple of days that brought rain/hail and that caused about 40% of my traps to close. They should be open right now, though.
By garz
I have them in a towerarrium with the fans off at night. Could it be from misting and having the water trickle into their traps? I just don't get it.. My gf is a sick clean freak. She's constantly cleaning the floors and the house. So I can't see us having any sort of bugs, unless they're super tiny almost invisible like.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!