FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DopeyAlex
Hey All,

When I first got this monkey cup back in the summer, it produced 1 new cup that you can now see in the pic and the big red one (was green at first). However since then no new cups have grown, but the plant itself is doing great. I know they need good humidity to produce the cups, but i've got the plant in the bathroom by a window, so i would of though that would be enough. I mist it every now and then but not every day like I prob should.

As directed it only get watered from above and doesn't stand in water. However I have it standing on pebbles soaking it water.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

Cheers,
Alex
Attachments:
P1010125.JPG
P1010125.JPG (43.8 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
By snapperhead51
Hi Dopey AKA Alex
your plant is a nepenthe and it produces pitchers , or will , monkey cup hhmm sorry its just not right for me :mrgreen:
any way , you know about humidity , but only spray now and again ??, do you know the name of the plant you bought here , or was it one of those un named plants you guys seems to get over there a lot ?? you all really need to do some thing about that , its just not correct to do to the public , complaints go a long way , make your seller know his or there plants at least make them accountable !!.

OK its probably a N.ventrata a cross between ventricosa and alata , and both high land and low land plants live in tropical climate, that stays the same tepm and humidity fairly well all year round , just has wet and dry season , they prefer 60 or 70% humidity all the time , good light all the time like a nice spring day light , and top watering water Rain or RO water all the time and free draining pots , and some non urea fertilizer about every 2 to 3 weeks 10% strength , the climate you need to keep these plants in is best to be stable like 20c to 30c or so day temps with a lowering of 10 c or so at night , not easily done ! (high land plants only , low land plants have a completly differnt climate !) , try not to let the plant get to cold in winter time , will be the challenge supplying light and even temps , summer should not be a issue , I would say your plant is trying to adapt to your micro climate you have provide for it , leafs look good Tendril's look OK and the pitcher pod seem to be trying to form , try a bit more light and increase the humidity if you can this will help produce pitchers more , may be try a clear plastic enclosure to increase the humidity , and a little pc fan in there for good ventilation all so very important to prevent mold and fungal attacks , if the tendril dry off or pitcher pod die off prematurely , its usually low light and low humidity that causes it , when receiving a plant the pitcher will be empty of fluid too usually , they need to be re hydrated with clean rain water or they die off very quickly,half fill the pitcher with clean rain water to prevent this immediately , and the plant has been moved from its growing climate too this causes it to stress a bit and needs to settle in, can take some time if conditions provide are not to its liking , all so possibly the case here
good luck
J
By DopeyAlex
Great, thanks for the very indepth reply.

Its a Nepenthes x Ventrate ('Alata'). I did refill the traps 1/3 when I got the plant as directed. I have a transparent plastic dome with airholes I can put over it and I'll try and get a pc fan in there too. Also make sure to spray daily.

I'll put it out in the GH when the night temps are a bit higher in a couple of months. Prob keep the dome on it out there too.

Thanks once again.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!