FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Siena
I looked to see if there was any advice on this, but I couldn't find anything. I just got my VFT a couple of weeks ago. Today I tried to feed it some dead fruit flies, but I couldn't get the traps to close. Is this normal? :(
By iBaman
you have to trigger the hairs so it will close! also, if it's still semi in dormancy, it won't eat either...
By Siena
Thanks! :) One more question: we happen to be getting really good weather up here in SD (almost 70 today!) do you think it is ok if I put my vft outside to get more sun, or is it too soon after shipment (about 2 weeks)?
By Venusflytrap7
It should be put in full sun once acclimated. You have to acclimate it first, which means you have to slowly introduce it to bright sunlight over the course of about 1 1/2 weeks. If you have already done this, feel free to put it in the sun, your flytrap should make larger traps and possibly a flower stalk come spring
By Siena
The weather here has been up and down (just yesterday it was below freezing), so I don't think I can acclimate it yet, but i thought a couple hours in the full sunlight might do it some good :)
By Veronis
Siena wrote:The weather here has been up and down (just yesterday it was below freezing), so I don't think I can acclimate it yet, but i thought a couple hours in the full sunlight might do it some good :)
I wouldn't recommend putting it outside while night temps are still (even occasionally) below freezing. If the soil freezes, the roots will freeze. If the roots freeze, the flytrap may die.

Keep it in a window for now, and I agree with what's been said about acclimating it to sun; you can move it on and off a window sill to do this.

Don't just stick it in full sun without acclimating unless you know it was already in full sun when you bought it.

Good luck. :)
Veronis liked this
By Siena
I just put it outside for a couple of hours, until it started to cool down, in the meantime, I keep by a southern facing windowsill (it is completely crowded with sprouts getting ready for spring :D)

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!