FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
Lol, good to know. :mrgreen:

We shall see, for now i need to put winter on the back burner and focus on growing season! In the next few days i will have PLENTY to do...VFT seeds from Stev, a BUNCH of d. capensis seeds, some d. intermedia seeds, and maybe a couple d. filiformis babies if i am lucky!
By NZL
And to your own likings, you can add some leaf pullings as well ;)
By afh928
I have decided to cave, lol...D. Capensis and D. Adelae come in for winter, lol. I'll put them in my windowsill which gets sun ALL day just like the porch and they will be happy and warm for winter. I have come across alot of information since i last posted here..i think i am gonna keep everything temperate outside (that means EVERYTHING except my tropical sundews adelae and capensis)...and if it is going to get REALLY cold i will put them in my portable greenhouse (already have the model picked out) which i will insulate and possibly still attempt the solar heat stuff i was talking about. I was pretty determined to keep all my plants outside all winter, but i have learned that you have to know your plants and sometimes you just gotta give them what they need. Those darn fellas over at Sarracenia Northwest sure can put things in perspective, lol. :mrgreen:

~Aaron
By sipecsus
Dude for like twelve dollars u can build a greenhouse out of PVC pipe , zip ties , and plastic . I made one and my plants are in great shape! Well good luck
By afh928
So i ended up getting a $30 portable greenhouse off EBay...i've learned alot since i started this thread, ALOT, and i know now that all my temperate CPs can be outside all year, and since any tropicals i have will probably be d. capensis and maybe a couple others they will be in close quarters with my temperates, so they will probably stay outdoors most of the time. The greenhouse is now being used for babies and seeds in germination, to keep humidity up and protect them from weather. If (and i doubt it) it goes below freezing for more than a couple days this winter, then everything will go in there until it gets above freezing. Any capensis, etc. i end up with i will probably just keep in the greenhouse once fall hits...where i have it gets FULL sun all day just like the rest of the plants, so it will stay just right even during winter here. It is a tad less durable than i would have liked, but i have strategically placed velcro and some zip-ties to secure it a little more lol...but DEFINITELY worth the $30. So disregard all my ramblings about creating solar heating devices, lol...it's really not that serious, lol. At least i had my thinking cap on! ;)
By English Springer
Sounds like a plan!
You are lucky that you should be able to survive dormancy outside.
I will probably have to move everything inside and am anxious about it.
This will be my first winter with plants so I am hoping everthing will be OK.
I probably have the same type of portable greenhouse based on the price you quoted and it worked great in the spring to get my plants going...
Good luck and we will have something to talk about during dormancy which will be otherwise a sad time I think.
Peace!
E.S.
By Adam
afh928 wrote:So i ended up getting a $30 portable greenhouse off EBay...i've learned alot since i started this thread, ALOT, and i know now that all my temperate CPs can be outside all year, and since any tropicals i have will probably be d. capensis and maybe a couple others they will be in close quarters with my temperates, so they will probably stay outdoors most of the time. The greenhouse is now being used for babies and seeds in germination, to keep humidity up and protect them from weather. If (and i doubt it) it goes below freezing for more than a couple days this winter, then everything will go in there until it gets above freezing. Any capensis, etc. i end up with i will probably just keep in the greenhouse once fall hits...where i have it gets FULL sun all day just like the rest of the plants, so it will stay just right even during winter here. It is a tad less durable than i would have liked, but i have strategically placed velcro and some zip-ties to secure it a little more lol...but DEFINITELY worth the $30. So disregard all my ramblings about creating solar heating devices, lol...it's really not that serious, lol. At least i had my thinking cap on! ;)
You can extend the growing season by moving your outside plants into the green house at the beginning of February. That way, if you let any of them flower, they will be done making seeds for you by end of April. Many have said that the important part of dormancy is the fall. So once the shortest day is behind us and everyday that that the day gets longer, you can use a greenhouse to get your plants 3 extra months of growth!
By afh928
It's really a bit flimsy to hold all my plants, especially now that i have a veritable nursery on my hands, lol...the greenhouse is more for protecting the seeds and babies, and for "intensive care" situations. I am going to attempt to let everything but the youngest plants stay outdoors for winter. I am in Zone 8 approx. which is the same zone as the Sarracenia Northwest guys, and they winter ALL their temperate CPS outside just fine. If it is going to get below freezing for a spell i have burlap sacks, black plastic, and bubble wrap at my disposal for protection. But, they don't call it Hotlanta for nothin' lol...winter here is pretty tame. But yeah, the greenhouse is really more to protect the babies and seeds from heavy rain and other weather badness.
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!