FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
In my Green house I have many nep's , though I mite put up a few with some reasonable size pitcher up from this summers growth , all my plants get full sun pretty well the roof being clear Polly carbonate dose defuse the sun a bit but not a lot , most of the plants get sun for at least half a day , is why the pitchers can become much larger , well part of the reason , hope you enjoy them as much as i do growing them
J
Attachments:
N.maxima x xtrusmadiensis
P1120865.JPG (144.36 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
P1120864.JPG (143.23 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N. veitchii H/L
N. veitchii H/L
P1120863.JPG (105.58 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N.veitchii H/L
N.veitchii H/L
P1120862.JPG (105.24 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N.lowii x veitchii H/L
N.lowii x veitchii H/L
P1120859.JPG (164.17 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N.lowii x veitchii x boshiana
N.lowii x veitchii x boshiana
P1120857.JPG (117.42 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N. lowii x veitchii x boshiana
N. lowii x veitchii x boshiana
P1120856.JPG (152.57 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N.ephippiata x truncata  full open  and hardened up
N.ephippiata x truncata full open and hardened up
P1120858.JPG (108.3 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
N. ephippiata x truncata
N. ephippiata x truncata
P1120793.JPG (130.36 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
2nd largest lowii  just starting its upper pitcher stage
2nd largest lowii just starting its upper pitcher stage
P1120861.JPG (120.4 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
My second largest lowii with  its first upper pitcher forming
My second largest lowii with its first upper pitcher forming
P1120860.JPG (120.48 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
By snapperhead51
Eric ,corky
its not a bad plant , I agree, looking forward when it get full size .
try to keep the humidity up in 60 to 70% range but not all ways possible here with summer temps so high and humidity out side all most zero only misting help and the evaporative cooler helps too , , as i all way try to explain good humidity and sun helps with larger pitchers in a green house
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By Dionae
Whats the hottest it gets in there?

I have humidity issues in the greenhouse. It just gets so hot during the day it drops the humidity to around 30%. I'd like to grow my HLs outside but I dont think i'll be able to unless they can handle hot temps with low humidity during the day. At night I have no problem getting humidity to 70+ but its the daytime i'm concerned with.
By jht-union
Dionae wrote:Whats the hottest it gets in there?

I have humidity issues in the greenhouse. It just gets so hot during the day it drops the humidity to around 30%. I'd like to grow my HLs outside but I dont think i'll be able to unless they can handle hot temps with low humidity during the day. At night I have no problem getting humidity to 70+ but its the daytime i'm concerned with.
You might want to wait until the expert talks ;)
But what I did last year with all the incidents that happened. In my case here's what I did, and I guess we have pretty alike climates so it should work for you. I grow them in all LFSM, and basically just make sure that every 3 times a week or 1 time per week you top water the neps, the pot of course must have holes in it, and you want to see all the water dripping out. Sunlight, my neps took as much light as my vft's, but they were in a more shadier location, maybe the difference of light was just about 1 or 2 hours less.
Have read in many post about this causing neps to die in the later years that I don't know, but the plants grew well for me in spring and summer like conditions in USA. Temp drop is important in this case, they received temps of 90-100f, and nights of 65-70F.

Steve and Matt I believe are experts on growing helis in drier conditions, for me it didn't work well, maybe they do require the temp drop more than neps, or soil might be a factor. the heli minor from I believe I received from Matt, grew well for me in drier conditions then( because the pot fell) it died, but it grew well in the drier conditions. Now with more experience growing helis, and 2 dying. I went to the third round, this time in the terrarium, and the heli is growing just excellent. :)
Light all it wants from artificial light, and a few minutes receiving the late afternoon sun, misting everyday and temps drop of 50F( and yes my room is that cold) and temps in the day are in the 75F. I still want to go through a fourth round growing a heli outside and see how it does. Maybe this time i will try growing it in all LFSM instead in the FTS soil.
But anyone with experience growing these plants outside, I would definitely love to hear your method. :)

I will put up pics as soon as i have a camera. :)
jht-union liked this
By Eric
:D Must...move..to...Australia...
By snapperhead51
Dionae
Eric , moving your neps out side can be a interesting excise indeed, I can tell you H/L neps can stand very high temps as long as the humidity is quite high and has very good air flow , cooled air preferably , sun is not a issue as long as they humidity is up , if not they can and will burn more than likely , where some shade cloth can come into its own , then your humidity is a less of a concern , ,even though my humidity dose drop on those hot days the cool air coming compensates for that , and the misting as well in those days is critical , for neps and helis alike , on those hot dry days misting must take place at regular intervals 1 or 2 hrs apart and for a few min at atime ,do mine min 4 min , this help with sphag and the plant couping with extra heat and sun , it may take some trial and error , and may be some hardening of plants from artificial lights as well , don't put any plant out in full sun That has not been acclimatised for sun conditions , its will be a big mistake and plants suffer greatly if done
hope that helps a bit
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By snapperhead51
yes they do make this timers i have one here but cost me whole sale $150.00 , dose to a second to any time up wards , but only 8 times per day only no more
J
snapperhead51 liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!