FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
Recently i've been given a rather amazing vase, which pretty neatly fits a plastic pot inside.

I want a plant for the amazing vase to be a centrepiece in my bedroom, But which plant could i get for it, which will grow indefinitely? VFT's are being excluded from this, And i'm really looking more towards Drosera's.

Living in the UK, i think an Anglica would be a great English plant to put in it. But does it grow indefinately like fly traps? as in the main plant dividing, the mother perhaps dying off while the other lives on, etc etc?

Also this must be a temperate plant, my room reallllllllllly feels the heat (or lack of) in each season.

Open to suggestions! :D

(Cephalotus also disallowed, Sudden death isn't a pretty attraction :( )
By Steve_D
A drosera (sundew) might adapt to the lower light better than a Venus Flytrap, depending on where in your bedroom you place the plant, how sunny it is, and whether you plan to use artificial light or not. :)
By Alzuryu
At the south facing window, on a large pedestal :D Gets the full force of the sun!
By Daniel_G
Drosera Anglica needs a really cold winter, too cold for a house.
Pretty much anything properly temperate will need a very cold winter, something subtropical would probably be better.
By PeatMoss
You could try to get one of the Hawaiian forms of D. anglica, but they are rather dificult to find.

If you are looking for something with that type of leaf shape, I would say intermedia "cuba" or D. nidiformis would be the way to go.
By Kbud
If you are looking at sundews, I would recommend any form of D. Capensis. This is one of the easiest sundews to grow and can be quite stunning when grown correctly. If you are looking for a plant that is really stunning, might I suggest a D. Capensis "All Red." Sarracenia Northwest (http://www.cobraplant.com) carries it and I think the FlyTrapStore occasionally does too. This plant is named quite correctly, as the whole plant can turn quite a stunning shade of red. If you are looking for a really good looking plant, I would try one of the fork-leafed sundews, although I don't know if they would suit your growing conditions or not. If you want a challenge, D. Regia, the King Sundew would definetely attract some attention. I might also look into Heliamphora, as they might compliment the vase very nicely. Again, however, I can't tell if it would suit your growing conditions. I would suggest looking for some growing guides on the subject, or check out this post: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/let-s ... 14338.html. Steve D. put the topic in a nutshell. They can be found at a good price on the Fly

Edit: ...TrapStore. Sorry about that, accidentally hit the "post" button.

Hope this Helps and Good Growing,
Kbud
By Kbud
Oh. Whoops. Again, the plant recommendations stay the same, but you'll have to find a different source to get the plants from.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!