This is how it all started (technically, I tried to keep a fly trap in a glass container with sand and other soils, but fried it in the closed glass jar in the sun...but this is how it started 5 years after that)!
...yes, that's tin foil for reflection.
I started a serious indoor greenhouse beginning in 2011. My bf had bought it for me for Christmas '10! Here are some pictures of that initial set-up.
The two N. ventrata mother plants
I have since moved and a lot has changed! Some plants have gone, but others have come (par for the planting course)! I've improved the set-up and virtually tried to make it self-automated. That way I can enjoy the plants without disturbing them too much and maintaining stable conditions! Here's a description...
Two 2' T5 fixtures. The main light is on the very top shelf (barely fits!) and has 4 grow spectrum bulbs. The second is hanging from the bottom of the second self (first main shelf) for plants that can withstand close light/are small enough to fit under it (ceph, sundews, bladderworts).
Mylar has been added to reflect the light back into the greenhouse. I may actually add some to the front zipper panel too; haven't fully decided if I want to limit my view that much. There would still be the side panels, and I could just lift the flap for a good poke around the plants. Both lights are attached to the same timer. They go on at 10am and off around 10pm.
There are two vents cut into the top of the greenhouse that can be opened/closed (very simple; just cut into the plastic and [will add] velcro). There is a computer usb fan in the upper right corner to allow for air circulation and to cut down on some of the heat.
There is a misting system installed. Right now it goes on every 4 hours for 30s. I am still playing with the controls, as it is still relatively new. I am also trying to keep up with getting it full bc I still have to buy DI water (no RO system yet). I water the plants when they look like they need it.
75-85*F (lights off-on)
Right now that is a rough estimate. It seems to be around 81*F these past few days, but I have not been checking it regularly. It may not drop that much at night. I'm not sure.
Same thing about estimate. Still fiddling with mist controls and keeping up with water level. It has been at about 41% when I have checked lately, but it was up to 50% one time too. I've been in and out of there recently doing cuttings, so that makes it fluctuate too.
Now for some pictures!
You can see it's become an N. ventrata paradise (with one N. sanguinea) all from the same two mother plants pictured ^ there! They actually grow much better outside during the summer. They are only mildly happy in here comparatively. It seems the pitchers never last long. They will be out again soon though! Lots of cuttings taken yesterday and the day before. They should root well and be ready for trade-zies!
Bonsai in training
Bromilliads and a struggling orchid
This is where I hope to start up that sundew collection I've been yammering about!
U. gibba (up for trade too)
Bromilliad on the sale shelf at Lowe's. Perked right up shortly after being added to the 'house.
2.5g plant grow out tank for other 5 aquariums in the apartment/shrimp tank (which have all since died)
The other nozzle is for the second plant shelf; this one is for the main shelf. I would ideally like two for each, but that is a project for another time.
I have been growing this guy for at least a year. It has been in that glass jar the entire time. No flowers since I bought it. So I put it in the window instead.
That's all. Long post! But that should be a decent break-down and perhaps overly generous number of photos (depends on if you like photos, I guess). I will post updates as they happen.