FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Kbud
Hi all!

I just found Utric. to be interesting and I would really like to know, is it worth it? I guess I just have four things I want to know before I look into getting one.

Are they easy to take care of indoors?

Are they really stunning or do they just look like an ivy?

Since you can't see their traps in pics, where are they? Can I see them or only when I am repotting the plant?

Which ones would you recommend for an ignorant beginner like me?

I am talking about the terrestrial species you grow indoors. Thanks and any help would be appreciated! :D
By Dubstep13
i like them now cus they have cool looking flowers

get ahold of U.bisquimata if you can i have some i can trade i just keep the media soggy and sitting in water and it grows bro! and the flowers and nice... i am also trying to get my hands on more as well mainly terrestrial but ill trade with someone who has aquatic also
Dubstep13 liked this
By PeatMoss
Utricularia are great. I would suggest that you get sandersonii as a beginner species.

Here are some tips:

-Keep them in wet soil, sandersonii will enjoy a peat/sand mix.
-Avoid species like bisquamata and subulata as they are self fertile and they will contaminate all your other cultures which will make them practically untradeable.
-You will not be able to see the traps very well on the small leaved species.
-You may need to repot occasionally as small leaved species tend to deplete the soil rather quickly.
-You may also be interested in trying some of the larger leaved species but I suggest you try some small leaved species first.

Overall Utricularia are quite fun to grow and I think you will find that there are many different species to suit everyones tastes.
PeatMoss liked this
By bananaman
You should grow them.
I suggest planting them in a way where you can see the traps.
You can do this by taking the top off a water bottle, then cutting the bottom off a plastic cup.
Cover the bottom of the plastic cup with a mesh that won't let the soil medium fall through.
Fill the water bottle half with distilled water (and a little peat), fill the cup part with the soil mix and the bladderwort chunk, then put the cup part into the water part. To water it, just fill up the water part.
I have a U. bisqumata growing this way, with about 50 flowerstalks per square centimeter.
In other words, there is a flowerstalk less than 1/16 of an inch away from every other one.
As a bonus, I can see the traps, even though they are exposed to sun.
If you want even more traps in the water part, cover the outside of it in something that will block out light.
By PeatMoss
Forgot to post this:

Traps on my U. reniformis, one of the species with the largest traps, perhaps an eighth of an inch across, not my best photo but it gives you an idea of what you would be looking at:

I honestly think it is worth growing at least a few small leaved species just for the flowers.
By Dubstep13
bananaman wrote:You should grow them.
I suggest planting them in a way where you can see the traps.
You can do this by taking the top off a water bottle, then cutting the bottom off a plastic cup.
Cover the bottom of the plastic cup with a mesh that won't let the soil medium fall through.
Fill the water bottle half with distilled water (and a little peat), fill the cup part with the soil mix and the bladderwort chunk, then put the cup part into the water part. To water it, just fill up the water part.
I have a U. bisqumata growing this way, with about 50 flowerstalks per square centimeter.
In other words, there is a flowerstalk less than 1/16 of an inch away from every other one.
As a bonus, I can see the traps, even though they are exposed to sun.
If you want even more traps in the water part, cover the outside of it in something that will block out light.
please show us what this looks like this is very interesting
By Fishkeeper
I like them. Plant them in a clear container, they grow leaves all over their roots and fill the sides of the container. Plus, nice flowers! And they take very little space and effort- I have two batches of U. Sandersonii, in a teacup and a wine glass, and I just have to flood them about once a week. The teacup batch is flowering, the wine glass batch is just growing like crazy. Don't give them drainage, they like to be wet. They also don't need quite as much light as other CPs.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I wonder if the OP ever got any utricularia. I bet they would be pretty well established after 5 years. Hahaha
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!