FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By BeAStar
Hi

I repotted my plants yesterday, it was a real pain and I had to do it over. But that was really my fault, I didn't wet the peat moss enough, so when I did water it, everything sunk in. Now my plants look a little bit beat up and to top it off, my mom dropped my drosera and my VFT Ö

Will they be okay?
By dimitar
yeah, that's why I pre-wet the potting mix before potting plants. For me this is the easiest way, beacuse u take the air out of the compost and there aren't any unwanted holes.
Well, if u feel that u didn't do the repotting well u better try again while it is the time...
I don't know what kind is the sundew but don't worry for VFT they're tough plants and endure repotting.
By Matt
It might be worth repotting them. I would probably uproot them and dump the soil into a container, mix in water until the soil was thoroughly saturated and then fill the pot with the moist soil and repot the plants.

If you need some coaching, feel free to post photos of your progress and I'll be happy to critique :)
By BeAStar
I did repot them again, this time I did mix in water with the soil. I'm just afraid that they will die, haven't had much success with CP's before :c

Btw: it's a Drosera aliciae and a capensis
By dimitar
Looks good to me although if u have added perlite or silica sand it would be fine for more aeration.
However, I really hope that I'm wrong but the media doesn't look pure peat moss to me and I really hope that u used sphagnum moss peat - not garden peat mixes that contain fert in them.
By Darkrai283
dimitar wrote:Looks good to me although if u have added perlite or silica sand it would be fine for more aeration.
However, I really hope that I'm wrong but the media doesn't look pure peat moss to me and I really hope that u used sphagnum moss peat - not garden peat mixes that contain fert in them.
Like you did Dimi-, I thought that it was normal garden soil as well. Lets just wait until a reply. ;)
By Matt
It's hard to tell from the photo, but something about the way the flytrap is potted doesn't look right. I can't seem to make out the crown (center of the rosette where leaves emerge from). That should not be covered with soil (I can't tell from the photo whether or not it actually is).
By Darkrai283
"BEASTAR"

You need to break down the peat (I hope you're using sphagnum peat!) 'chunks' with your fingers or something before potting them into a crumbly mix. There would be lots of empty spaces and gaps in the mix which means that when you water it from above, the mix will just 'sink' down and it will seem as if you only filled half of the pot up! :lol: It also means that when you water via the tray method, not much water will get to the roots and the plant may die from the lack of water.

Always after repotting, a good thing to do is to top water it once or twice so the mix settles around its roots.

Hope I helped! :)
By BeAStar
I repotted them in a mixture of peat moss and sand, I did wet down the soil the second time :p

And I'm not quite sure myself if I repotted the VFT the right way or not, what should be covered and what not?
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!