FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By CPgrower
Heyo! So, I've been MIA for a loooong time. I'm still alive, don't worry (bc I know you all were)! Also, if I misspell things like sarracenia (is that right), it's bc I'm too lazy to look it up and I'm going from memory.

Here's a small update:
I've lost some sundews recently. So sad! I've been having trouble keeping up with the greenhouse drying out! So, I ordered the Monsoon mister from Black Jungle. Unfortunately that was last Monday and still no word on shipping. I called today and they told me that they were out and it would be in this Thursday. Thanks for letting me know, guys! Gosh. Fortunately, the tropical pitchers, and cephalotus that I bought (the last go round? it was a while ago) are all doing great! I also have a butterwort that has not sprouted flowers in such a long time! I'll do some research on that though. I'm sure it has to do with light or water. I also got an aquatic plant grab bag at the ACA convention this year and a while after putting them into tanks, a bladderwort grew up from one of them! Boy was I shocked. It's still going strong, in a few tanks now that I have spread it to. I also put all my traps and sarracenia outside this year (along with the trop pitchers before it got cold...they sure enjoyed the sun and heat!). They are doing well too...although don't seem very dormant. Still green, but they have slowed a bit and not as fast to close. I see some others are having this problem due to the warmer weather...and people are still claiming there is no global warming? Yeah, okay.

Secondly:
I ordered plants today, with the help of lovely Mr. Flytrap on facebook. Haha! I got a mystery box of 5 plants, a piranha, and a maroon monsterrrrrrrrrr! I'm excited for them all. I hope to take some of my extras here and make my dad a wee bog area in his garden! Last year, it got fried before we could get it in the ground with a tub for water retention. I was so sad! After growing the plants outside here, I am ready for round two! :) The first try lasted long enough to attract a colony of ants and some other bugs! Too cool. Also on the note of butterworts from the first section, there is one in a pot outside too. It still has its globules on the leaves and although it's not getting bigger at the moment, it's going strong too. I'll have to look into that aspect too. I guess it's okay outside?

Oh! And I was able to visit Meadowview Biological Research Station before moving to Richmond! I was so bummed that I didn't get to visit during my stay at Mary Wash. Think of all the time I could have worked with CP's outside and in their native environs. I'll try to make a post about this too! Here is their site: http://www.pitcherplant.org/

Okay, so a bit of a longer post then intended! I'll try to get some more posts going soon. I'm going back to school so I can teach biology eventually, working, trying to run an egg dying business too (which involves one site and a blog), and have another blog entirely (mostly about plants, fish, my life, etc). But, I will def post pics when I get my plants! :D

******UPDATE*******

Post has been moved! Please see for initial pictures and check-in for updates: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/sarah ... 14337.html

I have a question too though. After a few days outside (since Saturday planting), one of the flytraps has curled it's leaves. It looks like it's shriveling up! I don't want all of the others to do the same. It doesn't look like it's rotting, but maybe it is? My guess is not enough water? The substrate seems wet to me still. Any suggestions as to what is going on? :oops: Thanks for viewing and advice!
Last edited by CPgrower on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CPgrower liked this
By Daniel_G
Welcome back to the forums CPgrower! Yes, you spelt Sarracenia right ;)

Nice to have another person posting on here again, let us know when your mystery box gets here.
P.S I'm sure the Sarracenia in your back garden will be fine, they probably have enough resources to survive a year with a warm winter :D
By stitz25b
welcome back cp grower
sorry about ur sundews and i hope u enjoy your mystery box
hope t see you round :D
By CPgrower
Thanks! I will be sure to post some picks! It already shipped yesterday and went through the processing in NM last night!

I have found out (thanks Grey!) from my very disorganized post (sorry Grey!) that I have a Mexican ping (which has been moved to a window sill) and a primuliflora outside (which I will move inside today). :)
By CPgrower
Yesssssss! Plants got here just now and look fantastic, even in dormancy! I will be planting them up tomorrow in a new giant plastic pot I bought for all my outdoor cps (work tonight and class in the morning)! I'll post pics then, but here is the list...

Bonus plants (from the January deal): Drosera dielsiana (This is great, since I'm all out of sundews!)
Mystery box: Pink venus traps (A ton...I'm guessing it's supposed to be four) and czech giant!! XD
Maroon Monster (plus an extra maroon monster!)
Red Piranha

Super excited. It's like a little box of delayed Christmas! Haha! Ty, Steve and Matt! Great service once again!
By CPgrower
Quick q about the D. dielsiana: are these outside worthy or inside greenhouse? It seems as though they can go outside after a quick look up (I really need to get on the road to work), but were they outdoors before shipping? I guess that's a q for Steve. :D They look great, all the plants do! I would hate to stick them outside planted and lose them, same goes for the greenhouse if they were kept outside. O.O
By CPgrower
After some reading, maybe all the water from mixing the new soil was a bit much? I've also misted a bit since Saturday, bc that's what I usually do after repotting something. I forgot they are still dormant! Duh! Maybe that lead to the one plant collapsing? I'll let it dry out over a few days a bit. Tomorrow and Wednesday should get into the upper 60's to 70*F, so hopefully it will dry! I'll keep an eye on them. :(

Edit* Did more reading. Pretty sure the water was it. Maybe I'll take a blow dryer to the surface to help dry it a bit. I think it was Steve in another post that too wet during cold is no good! Yipes. I'll fix it. :oops:
By CPgrower
Installed a watering tube in the back of the pot that goes through the plastic side and down to the layer of sphagnum on top of the cloth divider. This should allow me to water from the bottom (preventing the poor shriveling action that is happening with one of the plants), and allow air down to the bottom. I brought the planter inside to take hairdryer to the surface a bit. Hopefully all that helps the cp's settle in a bit better. I'll add pics a bit later after they adjust some more.
By Steve_D
CPgrower wrote:After a few days outside (since Saturday planting), one of the flytraps has curled it's leaves.
A closeup photo would help. At this time of year, when Venus Flytrap leaves grow prostrate (hugging the ground) they can build quite a lot of downward pressure and curl a lot when uprooted and transplanted. If the plant is not dehydrated (if it's not limp or has lost the gloss of the leaves) then I'm guessing what I just mentioned is happening. It's nothing to worry about. Just be sure to protect the plants from freezing (especially if you usually put them outdoors) because the rhizome and leaves will be more susceptible to frostbite right now, since they rise a little above the soil surface after transplanting.

All of the plants from FlytrapStore South (my greenhouse in New Mexico, where your plants came from) are slowly emerging from dormancy now, so it would be best to give them temperatures in the range of 50-78 degrees or so (can be warmer some hours of the day with no bad effect), and they will continue to emerge from dormancy over the next several weeks. If subjected to colder temperatures, they might lapse back into dormancy or their growth might stall for a while, so it would be best for them not to be too cold at this time (50-78 or 80 degrees range, nighttime/daytime).

I hope they grow well for you. They look very well planted. :)
By CPgrower
Drosera dielsiana It was included as the free plants as part of the January deal! XD They are outside right now. I briefly looked them up and the info said they could winter outside. Can anyone confirm this btw? I'm keeping a close eye on them. So far so good, and the dew is showing up!
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!