FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By newbie14
i was thinking of setting a fluorescent light to an 8hr photo period, i'll keep temps down but will it work?, and will that photo period be enough?

here's a link to the two fixtures http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Su ... put-T5.asp

i also have this one http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Su ... ixture.asp

and a home depot fixture with good spectrum lights
By snapperhead51
I live here where many great and rare tuber drosera grow in there millions , they grow in our winter time , where light levels can be quite low ,dew to location, sun angle , cloud cover, etc, all though some years our winters are very warm (drought times ) and the plants get brilliant colours , there life is very short if the weather stays to hot or low rain fall.
the lighting you want will be best at the higher lumen end , and the colour spectrum with higher levels of Red and blue for growth and flowering . 8 hours will be ample for them as our days are quite short here in mind winter , sunrise at 7am and sun set at 5pm in mind June - July , the hight of tuber growth, as the days get longer and getting into August - Sept , the day light hours hours increse, and the plants start dying off as the temps rise and the sun become more vertical in the sky with light intesity . they go into hibernation mode ,our winter temps are day 9 to 15 c and night 2 to 9c approx ,here is the averages .
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/s ... e&lc=23090

Would not try to grow them in summer unless you can control the temps exceptional well , growing them in a window in winter with as much light as you can and as long as the mix don't freeze will be OK ,room temp will be good enough , will work too ,dont let the mix dry out keep it very moist to wet but well drained , hibernation times keep the pot cool and just moist for tuber safe hibernation . hope that may give a few ideas to work on
J
Attachments:
P1080909.JPG
P1080909.JPG (276.62 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
just a few  D.whattakeri  & preafolia  in May
just a few D.whattakeri & preafolia in May
P1080908.JPG (268.37 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
By snapperhead51
jht-union wrote:Thanks for the info! trying to grow tuber droseras here in the USA. I won't give up until i have a scrambling tall drosera! :)
what ones are you trying to get going , when you tying to grow them ,
J
By hegory
are there some cephs growing with the drosera in the bottom right corner of the bottom photo?
By snapperhead51
hegory wrote:are there some cephs growing with the drosera in the bottom right corner of the bottom photo?

Cephs no no no , this is not a ceph location , these tuber drosera are in South Australia not western Australia , about 2,000 km west of this location , and the tuber don't grow in that location either , that i know of being Albany
j
By jht-union
snapperhead51 wrote:
jht-union wrote:Thanks for the info! trying to grow tuber droseras here in the USA. I won't give up until i have a scrambling tall drosera! :)
what ones are you trying to get going , when you tying to grow them ,
J
The seeds you sent to me.

Macrantha, auriculata, whitakkerii.
They have germinated(some of them), but they grow pretty slow.
By snapperhead51
Macrantha, auriculata, whitakkerii.
They have germinated(some of them), but they grow pretty slow.

yes seed plants are very slow at first, small and unatractive, ,after about 2 years they tend to get going a bit taller , then just take off , if the conditions are good, keep them cool and 50 to 60% light , but if you want good colour 80% sun but the dont live as long ,tend to go into hibernation quicker . unless you can keep them cool as well
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By jht-union
Since we are having that unusual hot weather here, i guess they will go dormant fast, i might need to keep them in shade for the summer, and then just wait for fall to come in again and hopefully these will survive!

So dry in summer and wet in winter. That sounds easy only if they grew fast! :)

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!