FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
Here are a few pics of the setup. I grow the majority of my plants in a small greenhouse, but for the plants I use for TC I grow indoors with the aid of the following setup...

Three inches from light source
Two T12 cool white bulbs
Humidity dome over tray
Top water

By Matt
jkochuni wrote:Now if I only had one flowering size. I so want to get a Bohemian Garnet culture going. :(
I hear ya!

Do you have any problems with mold with the indoor setup? How long have they been growing like that? They look awfully wet and I was wondering how you're able to keep algae, mold and fungus away from them.
By afh928
yeah, i'm gonna need a division of one of your BG's man, name your price lol. :mrgreen:
By Adam
Yes, please do let us know how on earth you don't have nasties like algae, damp off, mildew and fungus growing in there yet! :shock:

Maybe the top watering is the trick?
By jkochuni
I think Grant is right when he says top watering is the key. I also try and keep the plants out of direct sunlight. So far I have not had any problems with mold and such. They have been growing in these conditions for at least 3/4 months, and I try and top water the plants ever three/four days. I do not keep any water in the bottom of the tray.
By grant
jkochuni wrote:I think Grant is right when he says top watering is the key. I also try and keep the plants out of direct sunlight. So far I have not had any problems with mold and such. They have been growing in these conditions for at least 3/4 months, and I try and top water the plants ever three/four days. I do not keep any water in the bottom of the tray.
I think that top watering was actually the problem. Maybe if you only top water; and dont bottom water at all, things will be ok. But I was using a spray bottle/mister AND bottom watering; which led to mold and mold gnats (or whatever they are called).
By afh928
if you alternate watering from top and bottom you have to make sure that you don't do both at the same time, meaning..if there is water in the tray, don't use your mister/spray bottle. Let your tray dry out for a day, THEN top water. Then, when the soil is almost dry, fill the tray. pretty simple but REALLY effective to keep mold and stuff in check. it's what i do.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!