FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By alabama
so i been looking into evaporative coolers for my greenhouse
our alabama weathers USUALLY never peaks over 100 degrees F
and i saw steve had one and i was wonder if this would work effeciently to cool down the greenhouse with a little mist and cool air
By Steve_D
Evaporative coolers work better in dry climates (they produce more cool air), so you'll have to see if other people in your area use evaporative coolers ("swamp coolers"). If your area is already usually humid, the evaporative cooler would increase the humidity in the growing area while not cooling it too much. But if a lot of people in your area use swamp coolers and your hardware stores stock them, then it's probably OK to use one. Lots of people including myself use an evaporative cooler here in dry New Mexico, US, where they work fairly efficiently. :)
Steve_D liked this
By David F
It works great here, and the sundews love the swamp cooler :D.
By alabama
Steve_D wrote:Evaporative coolers work better in dry climates (they produce more cool air), so you'll have to see if other people in your area use evaporative coolers ("swamp coolers"). If your area is already usually humid, the evaporative cooler would increase the humidity in the growing area while not cooling it too much. But if a lot of people in your area use swamp coolers and your hardware stores stock them, then it's probably OK to use one. Lots of people including myself use an evaporative cooler here in dry New Mexico, US, where they work fairly efficiently. :)
usually daytime summertime alabama is 10-30% humidity outside night time is usually always over 90% with temps varying from 70-100
im gonna need something to cool the greenhouse during the summer more then what the vents can provide i do believe
without losing sunlight :O its kinda dry here in the summertime rain is like hardly never
By steve booth
Hi Alabama

With those sort of humidities the evap cooler will work fine. With the right size unit, (dont know what is available) with those temperatures and humidities you should be able to get off unit temps of 53 -71F based on 30% humidity, even lower at the lower humidity levels. The rest is a function of your heat gain to the space to be cooled and the capacity of the unit you buy (essentially airflow and water absorption from the tank or otehr source), but it all looks promising. Over here in the UK some people get paranoid over the possibility of legionaires desease from the stored tank water, as it is kept warm by virtue of being in the greenhouse or other indoor structure, and is introduced into the air in an aerosol so if you have legionella bacteria in it, it is almost perfect for it. If you can sterilise the water via a UV or similar that should sort it out.

Hope this helps
Steve
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!