FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By fishandplants
Hello. So I've had some interest in this plant for a while. Having traps big enough to see with the naked eye and having large foliage with pretty flowers are some perks. :D I have some questions about this species. I've read it likes it wet, bright, and warm. What are some temeperatures for this plant? I'm more worried about it in the winter if it requires really high temps. Also, I read in the Savage Garden it requires a winter rest (keeping the soil barely moist), and while I read about someone whose plant goes along with this, I've read another that seems to grow during the winter. Is this a different in culture?
I have some U. livida growing in my bedroom, and it's flowering now. How does this species compare to this one in terms of care? Does U. longifolia need full sun?
By stitz25b
room temperature although itwill tolerate warmer temps and sun
most terestrial utrics are the same so grow as you would what u are currently growing
By PeatMoss
Grow it in a lighter, easier draining mix. Mine are either in a Nepenthes mix or in plain milled Sphagnum that has germinated.

It tends to like cooler conditions, and as far as I know it does not require the dormancy.

It gets nice big leaves but does not flower very often, I will try to post some photos of my plants later.

If you can manage to get very fresh seed, it is possible to grow them from seed. My seedlings are only a few months old and they already have 2.5" leaves.

I grow mine under lights so I would not know what the lighting needs would be.
By fishandplants
Very nice. :) So do you think a mix of crushed orchid bark, peat, and lfs would work? I'm not sure if I can get ahold of some perlite soon.
The U. livida I have in my room is easy to grow; I usually keep the water level halfway up the pot or close to the soil line. Does U. longifolia like to be water logged at all? PeatMoss, what size pot do you use?
By PeatMoss
Those plants are in styrofoam cups at the moment although they will be repotted soon. They are in a tray with other Utricularia, tropical Drosera and Nepenthes, so they are watered sporadically from the bottom, enough to keep the medium soggy.

Those plants are growing in pure milled Sphagnum, but I think the mix you suggested would work. Perhaps leave out the peat and make sure everything is crushed very fine, otherwise you will have trouble potting it.

Good luck!
By EdK
I've had it growing under lights in a large pot filled with a mixture of chopped sphagnum moss and once it started growing it has taken off. I"m going to have to repot it into a larger pot (and maybe it's own tank) since it is sending out shoots towards other pots. It is under T5HO lights and the leaves closest to the lights (still about ten inches) show some signs of bleaching.

Ed
By RL7836
fishandplants wrote:I have some U. livida growing in my bedroom, and it's flowering now. How does this species compare to this one in terms of care? Does U. longifolia need full sun?
U. livida tends to be one of the most forgiving of the little weedy utrics and U. longifolia tends to be one of the most forgiving of the larger weedy utrics. It will grow in many variations of media and loves to have wet feet. I've grown them in many different environments - but if you want to see flowers, just stick a piece in a 4-6" pot and place it on an east-facing windowsill. Mine usually start flowering around April and usually have flowers into the fall as long as I don't pollinate them. This year, three of the plants also bloomed around the end of December - go figure. :?: There's several pics in my growlist, if you'd like to see flowers or foliage...
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!